Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

More palettes

Morten

Hi there

I know the memory capacity is limited on the frogs, but would it be possible to make a set of palettes to each fixture group. For example, a group of 4 giottos as fixture 1-4 which has 24 palettes (of each kind(colour, b/s, posi.)) and perhaps 6 Mac 500's as fixture 5-10 as a second group, with their own set of 24 palettes...

I would like that:-)

And another thing with the palettes:

When flashing submasters continusly(for example a simple manual chase with generic channels 1-2-3-4-1-2-3-4 and so on...) and at the same time changing from the current palette to a new one, to be output(yes, i have 3 hands:-). Then sometimes the output from the new submaster isn't on until the palette has changed.

Is this simply because the desk's processor gets too busy???

And sometimes when i try to change a palette, nothing happens. It is not in certain situations, as far as i know...

As i write this, with the desk beside me, it has gone complete insane, now none of the palettes is working...

Hope to find the fault, or hear from you...

Morten Mortensen

What you do is set up all 10 fixtures in their allotted beam/colour/pos for Pallet 1, then create it. When you select Group1, and apply pallet 1, they go to the value they were at when you created that pallet. Irrelevant of what the Group2 fixtures were doing in that pallet, unless they too are selected.

Does that make sense?

Peter Kirkup

As Kirkup-xp said, there is no reason why you can't record values for all your fixtures in each palette, since it is only the selected ones which get output when you output a palette live.

I understand that naming the palettes to try and describe all the fixture groups within a palette in 18 characters may be a bit of a challenge though :?

Frog Reference 5520 - Increase the number of palettes on the Fat Frog and Leap Frog to 48 (using the Shift Button) to match the Mambo Frog and Bull Frog.

Implemented in version 10.8

K-Nine : Technically Advanced Roving Dog In Space

Bran Media | Myspace

• 6 months later...

just a small question the z88 guys would ask too.

how do you swap? i mean there are only 24 pallet buttons (channel flash), so there needs to be a page button or similar...

of course i'd like this option too, but it's no use if there are complicated button combinations to activate the pallets 25-48...

greetz

felix

• 3 weeks later...

There was in earlier messages the question to increase the number of palettes. Perhaps it can be possible to increase it by making 4 pages. perhaps it would be possible to use the f1-f4 buttons for increasing the number of palettes. Otherwise the increasing from 24 up to 48 would be fine (for Leap Frog), then there would be also no problem with the screen design.

And another idea would be to make a selective programming, so that you can program only a colour, beamshape or position to a scene. For example, you will program only beamshape and position and leave the colour unused?

An example where it would be neccessry to increase the number of palettes is the position palette. You can program some fixed positions and then you might need to program some positions with moving effects in slow or fast, circle,..... so there you need very fast a very high number of position palettes.

Or another example is the color palette. You can program fixed colors and (f.e. we have 16 Varyscan 4 and 8 Varyscan 6) so you might want to have several palettes of different colors and the easiest way of programming is to make a palette f.e. red-yellow-red,..... instead of using fixed only red or fixed only yellow and program then on a cue. Sometimes its neccessary to use only the palettes in the shows and don't use the cues.

Regards Thomas

PS: And the shift button is fine! So you would have 48 palettes also on the Leap Frog. And I think for the Bull Frog with 48 its just fine (same as Mambo Frog)

If that could be done in the next updates it would be great.

That's indeed the case; pallets work perfectly live! Ie for a colour or gobo switch, it's a lot quiker just using a pallet than creating a chase / memory for that purpose. When using memories for instance your submaster run out quite easily (different subs for gobo, position, and colour isn't easy at all when you've got a fair number of fixtures).

Pallets are a great way to do this. But as other users already said; 24 is a little short for me too. For instance; mac 250 krypton's colour wheel fill up the first 12, then you'd only have 12 to work with. But what I often use: a button for each colour (so that's 12), some buttons for combinations (colour combi's with all fixtures), and some with combi's for seperate fixtures (most fixtures support a kind of half-way use of your colourwheel). Using the pallets this way takes some space, and 48 would be great.

As for the desks not having a switch-button; too bad. Okay, that may be not so very nice of me, but as we all know there are variations in the Frog range because each desk has its own specifics. Desks having a switch-button could be equipped with some more pallets, the other desks just have to do without that function; it's not like a feature is taken from the desk; it isn't possible now!

> 500 posts, time for a new T-shirt? ;)

As some users already requested here; why not make pallets with all attributes recorded? That would almost be an SX button. Well, that's not exactly my idea (id still love the focus-pallets), but it illustrates how, and why we're working with the pallets. Hope that clarifies some things too? :)

i used all 48 pallets on gobos and positions....its a lot quicker to program a pallet then creating mems...and a lot easier to call back...

yes people are using them for live-playback...lots of other desks do!

thus why i personally think there should be subpallets..i.e. hit brightness and to be able to store c/b/p on a pallet....this would allow good playback and also allow improve programming....but is zero88 gona be making the desk better (which must be very difficult coz its already great :D ) or...work on a new desk aimed at ppl who need more control?

I need a new job

• 2 months later...

Hi Minimac,

indeed there are possibilities to show 48 pallettes, but only for Bull- and Mambofrog desks. They have 48 build in channel flashbutton or FX buttons to call the pallettes.

Hope this helps :)

Sebastian H.

Pro - Sound Showtechnik

The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.

Albert Einstein

"You can get a lot more done with a kind word and a gun"

Al Capone

• 1 month later...

Using the shift button to provide more palletes would be an absolute great idea and i think for me is the only thing i'm still missing on a Fat Frog.

Because were currently using 3 different fixture types and use palletes for live changing colours and gobo's you often need more than 24 palletes.

I believe making the shift button to change from 1-24 24-48 concerns only a little software programming and therefore would be a cheap but very useful update and solution to that problem.

Greetings

Jan Smulders

The DJ'S Company

• 4 months later...

It's not the number of fixtures which determines the need of pallets?

I do a fairly large band with horns and stuff, that takes about 12 pallets. They play about 40 songs (not all in one evening of course), and in most cases I use chases for those songs (colour / gobo / strobe etc), so I use pallets in those chases (so I don't have to reprogram those). But there's only 12 left, so those 40 songs have to be done with 12 pallets, which I think is way too little. In the best case I have a position pallet for each song, so I can make different positions for every song they've got. The only way to do that now is program some position not in a pallet but in the chase. That sucks because I now have to reprogram every step of the chase :S

Also; because of the lack of programming down to attributes, it's impossible to mix pallets. So you now have to program a strobe setting for each gobo, same with prisma. Convinced?

• 1 month later...

When using the bass/man modifier for chases it's possible to tap like a soundtech. would do on his delays. Now the soundies also have a knob to pitch up or down the speed just a little bit, for compensating a small error you made without tapping again. So turning it all the way left would leave the set speed at 95%, and right at 105% for instance. Could such a feature be implemented?

And still: after some days of programming work I've been doing: the number of 24 pallets sucks and should really be extended to 48 somehow :(

Any chance we can see a list of feature request/bug fixes which are already on the list of to-do's for the next update?

Using the speed pot to adjust rates set by the new beat function is an interesting idea, but would cramming in another chase modifier option with the existing panel controls/LEDs get confusing? I think this would be overloading the existing panel controls somewhat.

The feature list for the next release will be made available only when it is finalised!

• 3 months later...

I have programmed myself a bunch of submasters with only beamshape attribute of all my scanners. It's for simply switching on extensive or not so extensive strobing with the scanners without losing neither current moving effect nor colour.

Then I programmed another submaster with position and beamshape data of 2 scanners. Both move to a mirrorball and close Iris a bit, so that the light hits only the ball and not the people behind/beneath it. *gg* The other scanners are not affected by this.

This works fine exept of one thing. When I trigger my shutter submaster, those "mirrorball" scanners begin to strobe, too. Sometimes it's okay, but sometime i'd like to leave them as they are, pointing at the ball doing nothing.

So is there any possibility to select which scanners are affected by a triggering from the submaster exept tagging/saving it to the submaster?

So, if you don't start drinking...I'm gonna leave!!!

Whatever fixtures are programmed in the submaster data will always be output when you raise the submaster fader and trigger the LTP parameters.

However, what you could try is programming the strobe effects into one or more beamshape palettes.

When you want to strobe certain fixtures, simply select the required fixtures first and then output the appropriate palette - the data in the palette will only be applied to the selected fixtures :)

K-Nine : Technically Advanced Roving Dog In Space

Bran Media | Myspace

The problem is, that the beamshape pallette is full of different Gobos/FX combination and some control commands...

24 Pallette Memorys are not enough for 32 combinations plus shutter stuff plus control commands...that's why I tried to use the subs with saving nothing but beamshape attributes. But there you have the other limitation... :cry:

So, if you don't start drinking...I'm gonna leave!!!

• 5 months later...

When the "flash" function is set to "off" the flash buttons don't have a function anymore. It's useful for selecting submasters without flashing them, but that's kind of it.

Why not extend functionality here, and use the flash buttons as pallet selection buttons when the functions is set to "off"? There is no need for locking the outputs screen on this one, so you can still see your memories or submasters, but have pallet functionality by pressing a flash button also. This way the otherwise kind of useless "off" function is used in a nice way I think. Anyone with me on this one?

And still: 2*24 pallet entries would rock, especially with the new software, since you need an "off" pallet for every function now (gobo / no gobo, prism / no prism, rotation / no rotation, etc. etc.).

mmm, multiple pallete pages is ok, but using the submaster flashbuttons would be a bit annoying i think. I use the submaster flashbuttons quite a lot and in order to switch pallete pages i would have to first turn them off, switch pages and the turn them on again. Maybe another combination button would be better, say like, holding the f1 button and then using the submaster page select button to select the pallete page?

if one million people say a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing.