Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Strange fader displayed

LeeStoddart

In the brightness Program Window I have an extra channel fader displayed and it is out of position.

In the channels section of the window there is a fader which is labeled as if it is for Channel 5 but it is shown almost (but not quite) on top of Channel 2's fader. Clicking on the spurious channel 5 is registered as clicks for Channel 2

Strange!!!

I just upgraded to version 1.1 of the ML software and I don't think the display looked that way as I started work on my next show - I think it happened as I went through assigning channels and fixtures.

Lee Stoddart

That is strange :?

Not heard of that before. If you could send me a copy of your show file, I will have a look here.

Have you by any chance been unassigning and then reassigning channels ?

With the Illusion 500, the default is 120 dimmer channels: I normally start from the default, remove any excess dimmer channels not required (for example, our demo room has 48 channels of dimming, so I unassign channels 49-120) and then assign and patch the fixtures we have in the rig (various MACs and scanners)

K-Nine : Technically Advanced Roving Dog In Space

Bran Media | Myspace

If you could send me a copy of your show file, I will have a look here.

On it's way to you.

Have you by any chance been unassigning and then reassigning channels ?

Yes I have.

This show is in a theatre with 116 dimmers and I am doing a soft patch to re-organise the dimmers into a "logical" sequence of channels. I wanted to get all the lanterns doing one function in a consecutive sequence. There are also a small number of channels with duplicates.

So I unpatched all the channels then worked through defining the 94 channels, assigning the dimmer's DMX addresses as I went along. During that process I made some mistakes :oops: - for example when I defined channel n I inadvertently assigned n as the DMX - later I wanted to use DMX n for it's correct channel and got the error saying something like - "already assigned do you want to unassign the other channel" - to which I said yes then went back to channel n and assigned it's correct DMX address.

I can't remember if I made a mistake on channel 5 specifically. I think I made a couple of mistakes like that.

Lee Stoddart

Just unpatching and repatching dimmer channels should not have any affect, I was thinking more of actually unassigning the channels (ie removing them from the list of 'active' channels) and then later assigning them again.

I have loaded the show onto a desk here and the brightness section of the program Window looks fine with 94 dimmer channels and 4 fixtures :?

Edit: After switching the desk off/on several times, I noticed that there were some spurious characters displayed in the Brightness section of the PW just above the bar graphs for channels 49-72 :shock:

K-Nine : Technically Advanced Roving Dog In Space

Bran Media | Myspace