Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Times in Memories

LeeStoddart

Might be a bug, might be unwanted behaviour.

I have defaults for all the fade times set as 3 seconds. I want to do a short queue and then an automatic follow on - can't be a multi part queue because I what to take some channels to full and then down to 0. Director want's a rise and fall transition between two states. So I make the fade up and fade times for both Q16 and Q16.1 1.5 seconds, Q16.1 set to AUTO trigger.

Problem is that the lights Fade up to Full in 1.5 secs, stay at that level and then fade out in 1.5 seconds. The problem is apparent in the Cueline - Q16 is still 3 seconds long. This is becasue the transition time on the Colour, Beamshape and Position are all still 3 seconds. Q16 does not have any CBP parameters so perhaps the follow on from 16 to 16.1 should be as soon as the two times for Intensity (Brightness) have completed.

Obviously the work around is to change the times on the Colour, Beamshape and Position transitions. But now I have 5 times to change!

Request for a new feature - Have the capability to change all five times for a memory in a single input. (Obviously there is a need for different times in some circumstances but in the majority of Qs all the times will be the same so that should be the default behaviour)

Lee Stoddart

Might be a bug, might be unwanted behaviour.

I have defaults for all the fade times set as 3 seconds. I want to do a short queue and then an automatic follow on - can't be a multi part queue because I what to take some channels to full and then down to 0. Director want's a rise and fall transition between two states. So I make the fade up and fade times for both Q16 and Q16.1 1.5 seconds, Q16.1 set to AUTO trigger.

Problem is that the lights Fade up to Full in 1.5 secs, stay at that level and then fade out in 1.5 seconds. The problem is apparent in the Cueline - Q16 is still 3 seconds long. This is becasue the transition time on the Colour, Beamshape and Position are all still 3 seconds. Q16 does not have any CBP parameters so perhaps the follow on from 16 to 16.1 should be as soon as the two times for Intensity (Brightness) have completed.

Your analysis of the problem is spot on, and as you say the reason is apparent from the Cueline screen :)

I take your point that as there is no C/B/P data in the memory, why should the C/P/P fade times affect the duration of the memory. I cannot offer a simple solution at the moment; it is something we will need to review.

Interestingly, during the software development, we had a similar problem, but the other way round, ie if the brightness delays,fades and dwells completed before any of the C/B/P tracks it would move onto the next memory without completing the C/B/P transitions :(

Obviously the work around is to change the times on the Colour, Beamshape and Position transitions. But now I have 5 times to change!

Agreed, that would solve the problem for this particular case :) If you had to do this for a few memories in the show I guess it wouldn't be too much of a problem, but I can see it could be a pain if you had to change the C/B/P times of lots of memories. That is one reason why it is important to set the required default fade times in Desk Setup before starting to plot your memories. From your earlier comment it sounds like you realised this :)

Request for a new feature - Have the capability to change all five times for a memory in a single input. (Obviously there is a need for different times in some circumstances but in the majority of Qs all the times will be the same so that should be the default behaviour)

An Interesting idea - I'm not sure how we could implement this but it is something we will look into. You can adjust the fade up and fade down times together on the Brightness track on the Cueline screen; not sure how this could be extended across the C/B/P tracks as well - need to put my designing hat back on :)

K-Nine : Technically Advanced Roving Dog In Space

Bran Media | Myspace

• 5 months later...

Agreed, that would solve the problem for this particular case :) If you had to do this for a few memories in the show I guess it wouldn't be too much of a problem, but I can see it could be a pain if you had to change the C/B/P times of lots of memories. That is one reason why it is important to set the required default fade times in Desk Setup before starting to plot your memories. From your earlier comment it sounds like you realised this :)

Unfortunately, even with all default times set to 0, the minimum cue length drops from 3 seconds to 1 second. eg cue 1 with all 0.5 second fades and cue 2 as a follow on after it: cue 1 fades complete after 0.5 seconds, holds for another 0.5 seconds, then cue 2 triggers. As mentioned above, this is all evident in the cueline. A cue cannot, it seems, be shorter than 1 sec.

We found this yesterday when trying to do short scene memories, followed on by chases, followed on by scenes.

Is this a bug or choice made by the developers?

Jim

• 1 year later...

Hy all. I am new to this forum.

Some days ago I had to record a show for a theatre on the Illusion 500. I was really surprised by the capability of this lighting desk. But there was a problem, which I could not solve. It seems to be a similar problem as reported by LeeStoddart.

I want CueX to fade down in 0sec and Cue Y to follow immediately. So, I set the fade and dewell times for Cue X to 0 and Cue Y to Auto trigger with fade times set tu 6sec.

The changes in Cue X are done in 0secs, but the desk is waiting for 3 sec until it starts Cue Y.

I have the default times set to 0 except the brightness fade times set to 5s.

Is this still a bug or am I doing something wrong?

Greets stagefrog

Note: fade times are all defined in the incoming cue.

For example, say you are fading from cue 23 to cue 24; some channels will be fading up, some fading down and some staying at the same value.

If you want the channels that are fading down (out) to do so in say 3 seconds - set the Fade Down time in Cue 24 to 3 seconds

If you want the channels that are fading up (in) to do so in say 5 seconds - set the Fade Up time in Cue 24 to 5 seconds.

Also, check the fade times for colour, beamshape and position.

If their defaults are 3 seconds that may be the reason. Try setting them to zero and see if it helps.

Bran Media | Myspace

K-Nine thanks for the instructions, but thats not my problem.

Maybe, you didn't understand me right. Please excuse me if my english is not so well. I try it again.

The Problem is that:

With all times set to 0 for cue 23 and cue 24 set to auto trigger with fade up and fade down times set to 5 seconds, I think the desk should do all changes from cue 22 to cue 23 within 0 seconds and because dwell time is set to 0 and cue 24 to auto trigger it should immediately start with fading up cue 24?

Please correct me if I am wrong.

But the problem is, that the desk is waiting for 3 seconds until it starts cue 24! All times for cue 23 are set to 0 but in the cue line it shows a timebar of 3 seconds length.

I think this shouldn't be so, but I am not shure wether it is a handling fault or a bug?

Greets stagefrog

Please check that the colour, beamshape and position fade and delay times are also set to zero.

On the memories screen you will only see the brightness fade and delay times as the defaults. Press the attribute buttons (colour, beamshape and position) to change the data in the memories screen so it shows the times for the selected attribute.

Bran Media | Myspace