Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Is it Possible?

fredomatic

The MIDI port is only activated on the Illusion 120 if the optional SMPTE upgrade kit is fitted (standard with the Illusion 240). Currently the only implementation of MIDI is the reception of MIDI timecode to synchronise the show playback to an external time source.

You can't use MIDI note information to trigger memories / submasters like you could on the XLS for example. However this is something that we may consider in future software updates. Also up for review is the implementation of the MIDI Show Control standard.

There is however on the Illusion a remote input connector, to which you can attach up to 6 of your own buttons/switches, and use them to mimic a push of pretty much any button on the desk. Full connection and programming details are in the User Manual.

On the Illusion 500, the optional SMPTE/MIDI upgrade kit also includes a CAN port, which will in future software allow the connection of our range of ChilliNet control panels to remotely trigger memories.

• 5 months later...

Yikes.

Well, I guess this answers my question in my previous post regarding MIDI functionality.

The SMPTE support mentioned is somewhat helpful. I will follow up to see if our board has the SMPTE upgrade kit. That might help us at least somewhat...I could add a bunch of SMPTE clock cues in our sound automation (SFX, by Stage Research) and "fool" the board into thinking the clock is continuous. I would not really call that MIDI support, though...that's just using MIDI to input time code. There is a world of actual MIDI-language support which could drastically improve the automation capabilities of this board.

Here are two suggestions for possible consideration:

1) MIDI note = cue number

This would be a fabulous addition. MIDI contains 128 discrete note identifiers per channel. A board like the "120" could express all of its potential cue numbers as NOTE ON commands, spread over four channels. Even something as simple as "listening" for a particular MIDI channel/note-on as a "go" button would be helpful.

2) Full MIDI

The better (and for the life of me, I cannot figure out why no one does this) solution for MIDI is to bypass the board's programming interface completely, and to assign MIDI continuous controllers directly to the dimmer values. An entire lighting design could be constructed as a MIDI sequence (or series of sequences), with realtime dimmer moves recorded rather than constructed from fades and delays.

This is how MIDI keyboards work. They may have rudimentary on-board automation (like light boards), but once you've plugged in a MIDI cable, you can turn all of that off, and just feed automation directly to the output engine. This would be HIGHLY desirable in light boards...revolutionary!!

I would be more than happy to consult or have conversations with anyone at Zero88 who has an interest in MIDI control/automation possibilities in lighting. I often write for industry magazines in music technology, and am very informed on the available tools and on protocols which are complementary to theater and lighting challenges.

MIDI could be curing a WORLD of hurt in lighting, if lighting and music technology folks could just come together and work out a few methodologies. The technology is already there. It is merely a matter of knowing what to hook up at what part of the chain.

Thank you for your time.

I can be reached here: Bruce@projectxtheatre.com