Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Inversion of generic values

Mars

Last weekend, I was running between two halls managing two events, one being a band with semi-automatic chasers and S2L effects, the other a more regular performance with needed much more but not continuous attention. I had to listen to the band to detect the end of the songs in order to raise the FOH when the next song was announced.

I pondered the following, yet not existing solution:

If the FOH channels could be programmed as reacting on the S2L signal (but not the voices), but with the output values inverted (no sound->on ; sound->off), the above situation could be left unattended.

Imagining about it, I could do many funny things with it.

This feature not being very urgent: I could also 'modify' a Mercury. :roll:

• 9 months later...

Interesting suggestion! Not quite sure how well such a thing would work in practice, it may take a lot of tweaking the sound-to-light algorithm sensitivity and timings to get just the response you want. What happens when the guitarists re-tune in the gaps between the songs, do all the lights go out...

You could connect up to the remote buttons, and from the other hall, press a button when your hear the music stop to trigger a memory that turns the lights on. Then press a second button when the music starts again to trigger a different memory (i.e. return to the show).

Maybe even simpler - get a longer DMX cable and take the desk with you into the other hall!

The halls are mostly audible separated. I've solved it for now by a camera and microphone, send the te other hall (also and even two cables).

If the S2L is still done with the 6270 AGC circuit, one could subtract the output value(-s) from the max value (FFh-XXh) and continue normal processing. That's congruent to the hardware tweak I intended on the mercury (and/or s24).

True, gap retuning would raise undesired effects, and hence the cam/mic. But look at it as a special feature, giving extra possibilities when the channels are programmed individually.

Still, no urgent feature. Thanks anyhow.