Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Newbie Question Submasters and Two Preset Mode

Guest Peter Newman

Guest Peter Newman

Hi,

Firstly sorry if this sounds odd, its just how i want to work things.

Im using a Frog for the first time for a show, having only used a desk with two presets before. It looks very impressive and having read the manual i think i understand it now, but there is one thing im not clear of:

If i am using the desk in two preset mode, just like the other desk i have used before, can i still use the submasters, for example put things like the main lights that are on almost the whole time on a submaster, and also put the FOH lights on a sub, then just run the rest with the two presets. This would allow me to experiment with subs but still have control my normal way if needed. Also using subs will allow me to put some of the lights up and down quickly without redoing the rest of the controls and possibly causing a change in their light.

I have to say i really like the solo bit on the buttons, our other desk is ancient and u can only flash.

Thanks In Advance

Peter Newman

Yes , you can still use the submasters :)

You will need to record your lighting states/scenes onto each submaster.

This can be done in one of two ways:

You can load channel data directly onto a submaster or if you wish to have more complex effects on a sub master (eg chases, sound to light), then you can record a chase or sound to light memory and transfer it onto whichever sub you wish.

See Frog Series Operating Manual Chapters 4 and 5 for details.

K-Nine : Technically Advanced Roving Dog In Space

Bran Media | Myspace

Guest Peter Newman

Thanks,

will the submasters just store data for channels 1 to 24. As the manual only talks about 1 to 48, presumably in wide mode. So if i use subs in 2 preset mode will they only store the levels for the 1-24 channels??

Thanks in Advance

Peter Newman

I believe that when you load channel data directly onto a submaster it will grab the current output levels of all 48 generic channels regardless of whether you are in wide mode or not.

Similarly, when playing back channel data on the subs, all 48 channels are output and HTP mixed with the preset faders.

The Wide button is only used to determine the configuration and operation of the Preset A/B faders, ie either two sets of channels 1-24 or one set of channels 1-48.

Bran Media | Myspace

Guest Peter Newman

So does this mean that if i put the submaster up, it will affect lights on the B preset, or will it put up channels 25-48 which are off the desk in space somewhere, with non existent sliders, as i have no control on them.

Or will it not matter if i set up the subs with 25-48 low, then will HTP cut in for using preset B.

So can i use the B preset normally, even with subs, as i cant do partial thingy as i am only on a Frog.

Please can you confirm this?

Thanks in Advance

Peter Newman

The submasters will output the channel data that was recorded into them, regardless of the state of the wide button.

If channels 25-48 were all at zero when you recorded the sub, then when you move the submaster up to full, output channels 25-48 will not be affected.

Whatever levels you have recorded for channels 1-24 on the submaster will be HTP mixed with the Preset A and B faders.

For example: you record channels 1-5 @ full onto submaster 1.

On the preset A faders you set channels 1-10 @ 50%.

If you raise submaster 1 to full:

Channels 1-5 will go to full (100%)

Channels 6-10 will remain at 50%.

Bran Media | Myspace

Guest Peter Newman

Hi,

Thanks K-Nine, i can be very stupid sometimes but you have persevered and cleared everything up for me so thanks. Now its just a case of running the show.

Thanks again

Peter Newman

PS Is it just me or is the server time out by an hour and about twenty mins. Or is that being very literal using GMT and not BST?

This was posted at 13:58 which the top bit disagrees with.