Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Next release

tk11de

The big change in version 10 software was parameter level programming (Frog Reference 5402), which became the single biggest issue for Frog users. Our position for a long time had been that this feature was beyond the scope of the Frog, however we bowed to user pressure and got it in, somehow finding a way to get it to work with the panel that was designed years earlier before any form of partial programming was envisaged.

Version 10 was also scheduled to also have auto move on dark and tracking in it, however once parameter level programming was out, mysteriously the forum got about ten times quieter. The commercial impetus to add further features dried up. By the way, that's not a cue for all our old friends to start being noisy and repeating all the outstanding feature suggestions again!

At the end of the day, we have to stay in business, and giving away free software updates has to make commercial sense in some way, either by promoting new sales or reinforcing confidence in the brand. Use of R&D resource has to be balanced between support and new product development, it's a tricky call and we hope we're getting it about right. If you feel differently, please feel free to bend the ear of your local Zero88 contact, their details are HERE.

Version 10 was also scheduled to also have auto move on dark and tracking in it, however once parameter level programming was out, mysteriously the forum got about ten times quieter.

Might it not be that having seen parameter level programming appear, people who are waiting for the above features assumed that they are coming and decided not keep posting on the same subject over and over again?

ex-Leap Frog Owner, ex-Mambo Frog Owner, ex-XLS Owner, ex-Alcora Owner, ex-Elara Owner

Owner of a big pile of Betapack 2s

Bozone (n): The substance surrounding stupid people that stops bright ideas from penetrating.

"Am I dreaming this?" "No, and you ain't in Kansas neither."

"Longbottom's been neglecting his ear muffs."

one reason i can think of the forums went quiet is that there are alsmost no bugs in version 10.4 to report. also just about everything that can reasonably be expected to ever be implemented in the desk software has already been asked for. So the way i see it people are just being patient. I myself still check the forums often to see what's going on, but there is just nothing to report.

As a footnote When i talk to other board operators about the frog series, one of the big pro's i always mention is the almost limitless supply of updates that just keep coming. wich means you get more and more value for your money each time, making buying a frog more appealing to others.

if one million people say a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing.

• 1 year later...

Greetings to all,

After checking through the site, it has been over 6 months since the last update for the Fat Frog line (v. 10.8). Several posters have reported difficulty with this release. Zero 88 has responded that the 'next release' would most likely address those issues. I was wondering if/when this new release will occur?

I can certainly understand the Zero 88 has been quite busy with new product R&D, but there are undoubtedly many users like myself that will be using the Fat Frog line for a substantial time.

--John

John Adamson

• 7 months later...