Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Next release

tk11de

Hello Group,

does anyone know when Zero 88 will make a software upgrade for the Frog-Series? I am looking forward to have the storing of the movements parameters on the pallets.

Else I only could say, the Leap Frog is one of the best and easiest console to program and work with! I think Zero 88 did make a good job. And also a big Plus is, that you have a community to share ideas with here in the net.

Bye

Thomas

I hope that update is released soon. The console is great, control is simple even if you've never used such a console (our previous consoles weren't this big and didn't have any intelligent stuff on it). But the problem of partial programming of movements and other (seperate) effects is really beginning to bug me. It just means a lot of extra work while programming which easily could be redused to less steps when working with seperated programming (or whatever it's called).

> 500 posts, time for a new T-shirt? ;)

• 3 months later...

Hi All

We are working on what goes into the next update. This will come out late this year or in early January. A lot of software time is currently going into the Illusion and its moving light software which we will launch at Plasa, please be sure to check it out.

The next upgrade will have several of the features that you have been asking for. It will not however have the facility to program individual parameters for a fixture. You will only be able to program colour, beam or position as at present. This is a deliberate decision for the following reasons:

-Frog is not a full tracking console

-The User interface would be very difficult to use

We will be adding:

Pan and tilt inverse

Manual control of chase speeds in live mode

Timing on data info stored in submasters

I look forward to the many comments this will generate. :twisted:

Graham

Sales and Marketing

Zero88

The next upgrade will have several of the features that you have been asking for. It will not however have the facility to program individual parameters for a fixture. You will only be able to program colour, beam or position as at present. This is a deliberate decision for the following reasons:

I was hoping that this would be possible, is it going to be possible in the future?

I've got me a mambo, because i've read on this site that it would be in the next upgrade! And it doesn't matter if the interface would be difficult, one could program a show much better if it was possible to program individual parameters

Den Pipo

Pro Light Design

It will not however have the facility to program individual parameters for a fixture. You will only be able to program colour, beam or position as at present. This is a deliberate decision for the following reasons:

INCREDIBLE... 8O 8O 8O I DO NOT HAVE WORDS 8O 8O

IS IT A JOKE?

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

But when is this new software coming out???

to be totaly honest... if the desk had....one shots, beat control and live speed edits (and BLIND MODE!!!"having great fun pulling out my dmx mid show to edit") i would be totaly happy with the desk...

coz they are the features I need, to do my job...

+please invert pan+tilt!!!.....would make life so much easier...

got a prob....the colour attribute keeps locking up...

+ this is something which has come to my mind....somewhere on this forum i spoke about linking...not sure how sim cueline on the illusion is...but on the sirus 500..on cueline it was poss to run two brightness levels...this is basically the link function.......any chance of putting a cueline on the frog or some kind a graphical ?? would make it a lot easier to run in theatre mode, especially as it a nice visual display(looks more pro)....

I need a new job

Kev

You will be getting pretty much all of those in the new software which will be out in January. Full list CLICK HERE. I am afraid santa and his software elves let me down on a pre christmas delivery.... :( K-Nine will probably tell you it is not their fault.

Graphics are not possible on the monitor. That precludes Cue Line. A bigger version may come out and give you this later. No promise.

However in the spirit of harmony perhaps you would like to come to the home of the Frogs and spend a day with us and the RnD guys and we will take you through some of the things we are working on and where we see future product as going.

Let me know if you are interested.

Graham

It wasn't our fault :P

The initial stages of developing new or modified functionality is to define the specification and user interface, ensuring that it integrates into the current software nice and smoothly ... now, who was supposed to be going through this with me :wink:

The specification and user interface design is well under way and should be completed by Christmas, providing people don't keep adding features to the list :roll:

K-Nine : Technically Advanced Roving Dog In Space

Bran Media | Myspace

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Two things govern releases, when there are enough things to change and when we have time in RnD given we are also constantly delivering new product. I am not sure if a lot of you realise that the updates we do cost us in the region of £70,000 per year. Given that we don't charge for these we can't do an upgrade every two months. We will aim for one more upgrade this year.

Bug fixes are different and happen as quickly as we can.

Perhaps we should adopt a Windows approach and change the operating system every two years and charge a large sum to get it. :P

best

Graham

• 5 months later...

I'd like to know what the status / priority of the R&D department is right now... there are still loads of feature requests in the database, and its clear you guys are putting a lot of work into F2 (or something else for that matter).

Any idea on how often software updates will be made, or when the debugging/upgrading of software will come to a stop?

> 500 posts, time for a new T-shirt? ;)

Hi

We will keep working on updates and bug fixes on the Frogs for a long time yet. You have to understand though that we are also committed to new product. I am sure you are all aware that we have not charged for a single upgrade in Frog software. If you do want updates on product we need to keep making money. That basically means new products.

In all cases though we need to decide what is important and what can make, I know in some cases we will probably disagree on this, sorry.

graham

Graham

• 1 month later...

Love the new Frog2, seems to yet again plug a gap in the market and will no doubt be a great success!

However, my Fat Frog was purchased in June this year, days before the announcement that a Frog 2 was coming. :o I am blown away by the speed you guys have got this up and running.

My big concern is what is going to happen to Frog updates and revisions? I am eagerly awaiting software updates like split screen displays, numeric entry (channel x @ level y), and all the other updates on your list.

I realise focus will be on the new desk, so realistically chaps, are we going to see any further software updates?

Ian

Yes you will continue to see a range of updates for the current Frogs and the Illusions. We have a huge user base so won't abandon you. Obviously they will slow down slightly, the current range is now pretty fully featured. We will probably do a new release in the first quarter of next year once Frog 2 is shipping.

Graham

As with all the previous software updates for the Frog series, we will need to review all the outstanding suggestions for new and improved features.

Then we can decide, based on the time and resources available, which will be implemented.

I don't think we are in a position at the moment to define exactly what features may or may not appear in the software update next year.

If you look back over the history of the Frog series we have already added a significant amount of functionality to the desks via the software updates.

Given a fixed front panel design there is only a limited number of features you can add to the desk without making the user interface too complex and difficult to use.

K-Nine : Technically Advanced Roving Dog In Space

Bran Media | Myspace