Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Wheel Problems

Guest dave38

Hi,

Would you believe it...but the same problem has happened yet again.!!

I have tried a few options and it seems the wheel is just naffed.

as I dont get a reading in Test Mode, or standard running.

Would K-Nine be able to give me a number of Z88 tech support, as I think I need sum new wheels !!

Thanks

Tom.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi guys and gals, I'm back with more questions I'm afraid!

First of all, I hope that you're all very well, and that 2005 has been a prosperous and interesting year for you all so far! I've been away for quite a while, but we've moved house so I'm finally getting back on my feet!! But enough about me :wink: .

A while ago I had the far right thumb wheel break down on my Fat Frog. Unprovoked as far as I know, however it's been suggested that I carry out the repair myself (I do a fair bit of that!). I'm waiting on a price from someone for a new wheel assembly, but I thought that I would just pop a post in here to see if any of you have any tips for doing this. Anything I need to watch out for? Anything I should do/not do?

It's my first time inside this particular desk, so any help is appreciated!!

:D

Cheers guys!

Rich.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Havent posted on here for a while so if this is in the wrong section please move it.

Recently the pan wheel on our fat frog fell into the desk. Me and another tech pulled it back out and reclipped it in. Whilst using the wheel it came out again so we pulled it out and re clipped it and it seemed fine after then.

however last week when using the fat frog the other tech was using the board and it fell through again and now when reclipped it wont stay in place as when we refit the top cap it pushes the wheel back in.

I had to resort to superglueing it into place, I dont know if this was a good idea but its done now. The only problem is that some of the glue must have got onto the wheel itselt and now a bit of it has gone white. I presume this is the superglue.

The wheel still works and moves but it doesnt look to good.

My question is will methylated spirits/ turps be the best chemical to get it off in a very small quantity on a paint brush or is there a better way.

Thanks

Daniel

• 2 years later...

HI Everyone. Wondering if anyone can help.

The encoder wheel on the far right of my fat frog periodically stops working. it will be happy and then all of a sudden you can move it and nothing happens!

Then if you press above and to the left of the whell whilst turning it it wil spring into life again!

Any suggestions?

Thanks

• 1 year later...

got another problem with the frog

after using it for a while sometimes the wheels dont seem to respond , ive tried cleaning the optical sensors on the wheels but no luck

seems the only way to get them to work its to reboot the desk

anyone got any idears???

Elliott Silk & Sam Raby

Exstage Theatre Services

www.exstagetheatreservices.co.uk

Firstly rule out hardware problems by checking the wheels in test mode (boot the desk while holding down F1).

If that checks out OK, it could be you're looking at a *feature* of the way the wheels work with multiple fixtures selected. If the wheel edit mode is anything other than Absolute, then with multiple fixtures selected, the desk will allow you to roll the wheels below 0% and above 100%. The desk allows this to maintain the relative levels of the different fixtures selected. So if you roll a wheel 3 revolutions below zero for example, you'll have to roll it back up 3 revolutions to bring it back to zero before you'll see any output change. So it can look like the wheels stop responding for a time.

Fan Edit modes can also cause confusion, as only the level for the primary fixture is displayed on the LCD. You might be looking at the 'locked' fixture and thinking nothing is changing, when infact other output levels are changing. The best way to see all fixture levels together is to use the Fixture Outputs screen on the monitor (hold F1 and press a fixture selection button).

Moderation: merged with existing topic discussing wheel issues.

• 4 weeks later...

I am running a show using a combiantion of Eurolite Pars and Showtec ones. The whole show is programmed in but when running I am tweeking colour settings. Often for no reason and it seems to happen with Green in particular, I cannot control that channel, either when it is already on or off. Red and blue seem okay. Is it to do with the way I have the programming setup?

Interesting thread. My extreme right hand wheel which controls Green on my LEDs seems to be stuck but I am wondering if i can run the rest of the run without sorting. Still some useful tips here. A pity it plays up as i have great time while the two pianists let loose on gershwin and would be great to be able to adjust green as well for the montage of colours!

Well the show is now well and truly over. I have tested the desk back at home with just one LED can and all of a sudden I can control green okay. In fact if i go through all the cues any that had green in on purpose or by accident(at a low level) I can now kill. The way the show was set up I had three trucks with showtec pars on each with a lightweight mains cable plus dmx and four Eurolite gauze washers and fours uplights on small thrust stages The DMX chain for all the latter lanterns came direct from the desk. The trucks came from a dmx splitter.

It was the up-lighter Euros that I had a problem with. Might it have needed a termination? Likewise with the trucks, by the wait a pair of showtecs on each. I did have couple of problems which sorted themselves out with the showtecs. In the past I have not needed to term these things but possibly now I am running a lot more at once I do need to?

Anyway at least the desk seems okay, though I must say it does seem to be the extreme right wheel I ever have a problem with.