Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Wheel Problems

Guest dave38

Guest dave38

just wondering if anyone has had any problems with the wheels on the fat frog desks i recently started using a fat frog desk with martin mac 250+ and noticed that after about 2 months of use the desk wouldn't hold any fixture effects on another page except page 1 +also the wheel that controls the pan+effect has stopped working i have tried rebooting the desk but no joy any suggestions :roll: :roll:

• 7 months later...

Most likely to be a hardware problem I would think. To confirm this, put the desk into test mode. This is done by holding down the F1 key on the panel as you switch the desk on. The channel flash buttons will now select various test pages on the main LCD. Find the one that says 'wheels'. The numbers on the LCD will show you any movements of the wheels that you make.

If the numbers do not change for the thumb wheel, then it is a hardware problem. Open up the desk (only 2 screws need be removed to separate the front panel from the base), and check that the wire harnesses from the wheels are securely plugged into the PCB. Also check that the wheel assembly housing and the small optics PCB are securely clipped together - use one of the working wheels as a guide to how it is meant to look.

Best of luck! If it's still broke, then give our service department a call on Monday and we'll help you out further.

Hi Paul

Test shows what the Thumbwheel is doing ie Only incrementing a value of 1. Checked connections - they all seem OK from what I can see. When in F.R.O.G. mode the fixtures respond to 'Auto Thumbwheel' values OK but as soon as you come out of F.RO.G. and try to use the Thumbwheel then again the value only changes by 1 eg if the Pan was at 120 when you stopped the FROG then I can only change it to 121.

Any ideas - apart from reprogramming thr fixture files to use only Wheels 1 and 2. I have an LX plot/focus tomorrow (Sunday) for a show which opens next Saturday.

Thanks

• 1 month later...

I'm using the latest software, and currently using all 12 fixture controls.

But for some strange reason one of the wheels sometimes and sometimes don't work with 2 of the fixture's. very annoying since it works with the other fixtures.

Is it just that it need a reset or is it the "fixture program" ???

Which types of fixtures are you using ?

Does this appear to be a problem with a particular attribute (colour, beamshape, position) ?

Have you checked what Edit Mode the control wheels were in when you were adjusting the parameters ?

If your wheel edit mode is one of the fan modes, and the Primary fixture (red flashing LED) is the same as the locked fixture then the values (and outputs) for that fixture will not change as you move the wheel, but the values of other selected fixtures will 'fan out' as appropriate.

K-Nine : Technically Advanced Roving Dog In Space

Bran Media | Myspace

I'm using ClayPaky StageColor 300

I have used it alot of time before, and it has work as it should, but it is mostly the middle wheel that stops functioning, and moslty under brightness and position attribute. The brightness is at 100% and will only go down to 99% (I think it was that). And under position it will not do anything but the other wheels will.

I'll check if someone has done anything to the "edit-mode" and report back.

The brightness is at 100% and will only go down to 99% (I think it was that). And under position it will not do anything but the other wheels will.

Sounds to me as if your brightness was being controlled by either submaster / memories output, if so you can't turn it below the highest of each (HTP channels!).

I also experience problems with the wheels, but those problems seem to be a hardware fault; sometimes they just don't respond for a few seconds, turning them a few times makes the problem disappear so I guess I'll open up the desk to check the connections.

> 500 posts, time for a new T-shirt? ;)

The way all 3 wheels are fitted, is that so as you move the wheel away from the palm of your hand, the value increases.

If your problem is specifically with Pan/Tilt, then hang on for the next software update which will allow these to be inverted or swapped on a fixture by fixture basis.

If your problem is the wheel in general, then pop it out the panel and put it back in the other way round. There's enough cable on it to fit it either way round. You'll need to open your desk to do this.

• 4 months later...

Well perhaps it is a software problem, im not really one to know, but are you sure that the wheels themselves are working properly?

Perhaps if you went into test mode (hold F1 while turning on) you could check to see if the wheels are working perfectly.

Once in test mode, go through the channel flash buttons until you find the 'wheels' screen, and you should be able to see the value of each wheel to ensure that they are working.

If there is a loose connection in one of the wheels, perhaps pressing that button you describe somehow rectifys it? I often find with one of our wheels that you have to press down lightly on the area around the wheel, and it works ok. :?

sp

Indeed SP´s right check your wheels first. If they react as they should do you should try to "reload" your fixture file to the desk please be sure that entire show is saved on disk. Then delete all concerned fixtures and reload it from a fresh downloaded fixturefile - this helps me a couple of times hitherto.

If it is your own fixturefile that is responding dull, then please be sure not to set up the "wheel groups" in "Fixture Type Editor" the desk sorts it´s recommended values to the wheels itself.

Hope this helps you !

Sebastian H.

Pro - Sound Showtechnik

The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.

Albert Einstein

"You can get a lot more done with a kind word and a gun"

Al Capone

Remember that if you have several fixtures selected, the wheel LCD will only be showing the parameter values for the 'primary fixture'. The values of the parameters for the other selected values may vary depending on the wheel editing mode (absolute, relative, fan etc.)

Use one of the output screens on the monitor to see if the actual output levels are changing as you move the wheel.

Bran Media | Myspace

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Instead of starting a new thread, thought id continue this one.

Vry similar problem as above, in that the middle scroll wheel does not work when trying to control a fixture.

In Test mode, I can see the wheels values changing, so the desk seems to know wats happening, altho when a fixture is selected, moving the Wheel does nothing.. The other two wheels work fine..yet this one refuses.

I have reflashed the desk with the latest software update, and checked the fixture profile (Robe Spot160XT) in the Fixture Type Editor, and through out all seems fine. Just no response out of the desk..

Any Thoughts ?

Cheers Tom.

The wheel fails to work for ALL Attributes, on all the fixture profiles ive tried for several fixtures..

So, where colour is usually controlled on this middle wheel, i can no longer change the colour value...same for Gobo, which is usually middle wheel, cant change that...and Tilt, which again I would have on the middle wheel; I am unable to change.

Tom

It sounds very much like you have a mechanical or electrical problem with the control wheel itself.

Please could you try putting the desk into test mode, bring up the 'Wheels' screen on the main LCD and then watch the numbers carefully and roll the wheel through one complete revolution in both directions.

Bran Media | Myspace

Rite, Ive got the desk back, as it was out on Hire.

I got it back yesterday, flashed it up, uploaded the latest fixture profile, and the Wheel now works !!

I am totally at a loss as to what happened or how it was fixed, but basically it now works and the desk is back to normal again ! :D

Sorry to have brought it up, but I was getting worried about it !

I can only assume it was a loss connection, or the desk needed a gd reboot or sumthing...but watever I or the Hirer did,..it now works...

All The Best !

Tom.

• 2 months later...

Hi Sam,

tsts......never jump on a Frog! :twisted:

Question: what is broken the whole wheel or just a part of the frame.

Doesn´t matter the easiest way is to contact your dealer and order a new wheel.

Changing takes about 5 Minutes for a skilled techy.

Cheers Sven

Sven Paulsen

Klangfarbe Vienna