Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Moving data from one fixture to another

CyberLight

Hi,

How can I copy (or better yet move) data from one fixture to another?

Here's the deal. I have a big show coming up in march. I need to light 2 stages from one fat frog. I have a complete show programmed with four trackspots. That's for one stage. The other stage will also have 4 trackspots. But instead of programming the whole show again for the second stage, I want to copy all of the data to new memories (this part is going ok) but then I want to move all the fixture data from the first 4 trackspots to the second four trackspots. This way I can get two separate shows on one desk.

How can I achieve this? :?:

For your information: There are 8 trackspots patched. All addresses are correct, the desk is in partial mode. For the first show, only the first 4 trackspots were tagged. I program all the data to memories, before I transfer them to the submasters.

Do you need to have the two shows on the desk at the same time ?

Presumably you will be running a show on stage 1 OR on stage 2 ?

Are the two shows going to be the same or is the second just based on the first ?

Sorry for all the questions but it might help me think of some solutions :)

K-Nine : Technically Advanced Roving Dog In Space

Bran Media | Myspace

If you did not need to have both sets of spots on at the same time, then you could bodge a new fixture personality for them which excluded the intensity channels, you then patch the two sets of fixtures to the same four handles (buttons, whatever), patch the eight intensity channels as either generic channels or int only fixtures, and you can now seperate out the two sets of fixtures.

This would mean that you can just program one set of cues for the two sets of stages, and just bring up the intensity for the stage that you want...

Might work!

Apologies if I'm mentioning something you already know, but...

You can copy data from one fixture to any number of others by doing the following:

- select the fixture(s) that you wish to modify.

- whilst holding down colour, beamshape or position (maybe even brightness, I can't remember!), press the fixture button that you wish to copy the data from.

By magic, the colour, beamshape or position data will be copied from one fixture to the other(s). Be prepared for some whacky results if the fixtures are not of the same type!

Admittedly this will be awful tedious if you have a lot of memories to copy!

Maybe it would be easier, at the time of the stage changeover, to quickly re-patch the addresses of the 4 fixtures on the desk to be the addresses of the 4 fixtures on the 2nd stage. Or maybe run a separate DMX cable to the 4 fixtures on the 2nd stage, so that you can do a cable swap rather than a re-patch at the changeover. If you want the 2nd show to be identical to the 1st that is. You mention that you're actually transferring the memories to subs to run the show, so maybe using the same memories wouldn't be so bad, as by using the subs you have options to introduce some variety.