Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Edit a Submaster during the Show

Guest pollywog

Guest pollywog

Hi, I was using a Bullfrog and had my submasters programmed just a few minutes before the audience was allowed to get in.

During the show I recognized a misstake on a submaster (instead of only yellow backtruss par cans the front light was also stored in the submaster)

The Submaster was programmed direct, not refering to a memory.

Recognized this I would like to store only the yellow backtruss par cans again to the Submaster.

How can I do this without having a dark stage during correcting the submaster?

Thanks pollywog

Guest pollywog

I thougt so too :(

But as it was not possible to put all generic channels to zero (During the show (without the yellow ones)) this idea was not working.

I was searching for a function like save presets only, not the whole generic output.

If I'am going to the edit mode, is the DMX output freezed while editing?

Thanks pollywog

Getting slightly confused here with the terminology :?

The generic channels and the preset faders are the same thing, so I didn't quite follow your last comment.

Is the 'front light' you described controlled from one of the preset faders or is it a fixture accessed by the fixture selection buttons, attribute buttons and control wheels ?

K-Nine : Technically Advanced Roving Dog In Space

Bran Media | Myspace

Guest pollywog

Set was:

12 Channels front (1-12)

24 Channels Back (13-35)

and 4 Fixtures

Problem was:

all Submasters excluding one was programmed well.

If I could put down all generic Channels to Zero (no Light at the Stage), Problem is easy to fix.

But as It was not possible to have a dark stage I had some Submasters according to the Front Channels on 100%.

Programming the Submaster again --> it contains the DMX output while Pressing Program and ok for overrwrite.

--> Getting a submaster containing only Back channels was not possible.

thanks pollywog

Ah .. I think I understand the problem now :idea:

In order to overwrite or edit the submaster channel data with just the 'yellow' lights, you would need to set up the outputs so that only the 'yellow' lights were being output. To do this you would have to lower all the other generic channels using the preset faders or other submasters depending on which was providing the source of the outputs.

I suspect what you need for your particular situation is an 'Edit Blind' function ... in which you could edit the generic channels programmed into the submaster channel data as required without having any effect on the DMX outputs from the desk ... is this correct :?:

K-Nine : Technically Advanced Roving Dog In Space

Bran Media | Myspace

Guest pollywog

:P yeah!

edit blind is one possibility

save only the preset channels (and dimmer of the fixtures which are not comming from some submasters) would be more comfortable, cause you see on the stage what you are doing.

An other situation where I need this

is when I am doing the programming of the show, and some artists / stagetechnician call: Hey Lj please put some Light at the stage.

Now I leave my desk, go to the stage, switch some lights at the dimmer on, go back and go on with the programming. :(

Guest pollywog

:P yeah!

edit blind is one possibility

save only the preset channels (and dimmer of the fixtures which are not comming from some submasters) would be more comfortable, cause you see on the stage what you are doing.

An other situation where I need this

is when I am doing the programming of the show, and some artists / stagetechnician call: Hey Lj please put some Light at the stage.

Now I leave my desk, go to the stage, switch some lights at the dimmer on, go back and go on with the programming. :(

Hi,

Found the subs easy to edit live, as long as you have a few minutes,

and REMEMBER to DISABLE the FLASH BUTTONS :roll:

Here was I creating a scene from Noyes Fludde when it was supposed to be the big romantic number. :oops:

Lucky it was the tech :)

So please... a wee prog tweek to disable the flash functions during edit.

Ta...

George...