Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Few FatFrog Control Queries

Guest AlexOD

We are hiring a Fat Frog for a Fashion Show this coming week. The rig includes a variety of lumieres on Strand dimmers interfaced with a Demux unit, which should pose no problems.

In addition to this we also have 8 Chroma-Q colour scrollers, 1 Abstract Gladiator Revolution, 2 NJD Datamoons and 2 Soundlab Colourscanners.

I've modified the standard '1 Scroller' fixture with the DMX levels for each gel scroll. I notice there are also prebuilt fixture files for the Datamoons and the Gladiator. Is it simply a case of setting these up as fixtures? For the scrollers in particular, does this mean that when fading down, the scrolls will not change until the lamps themselves are off? Is it a good idea to program the scroll settings as pallettes? Would the submasters be of any use in setting up a variety of different atmospheres?

Many Thanks,

Alex O'Donnell

Hi Alex,

ever tried to read the manual? :wink:

1. You should assign your scrollers as fixtures. There are a few in the library. Then you´re able to setup your dimmed luminairs with the scroller as one fixture. The scrollers work as LTP! They keep the colour till they receive another DMX value. The luminairs work as HTP. I prefer to work with palettes, but you don´t have to work with it. It makes live easier to program palettes.

2. Off course do the subs help to run different stage scenes! :lol:

You may program them with so called "live data" without any fadetimes or assign memories to them.

I hope this is of help.

cheers

Sven

Sven Paulsen

Klangfarbe Vienna

In addition to this we also have 8 Chroma-Q colour scrollers, 1 Abstract Gladiator Revolution, 2 NJD Datamoons and 2 Soundlab Colourscanners.

I've modified the standard '1 Scroller' fixture with the DMX levels for each gel scroll. I notice there are also prebuilt fixture files for the Datamoons and the Gladiator. Is it simply a case of setting these up as fixtures?

For the Gladiator Revolution and Datamoon fixtures you will need to assign the fixtures from floppy disk (Frog Series Manual - Page 6-5).

For the scrollers in particular, does this mean that when fading down, the scrolls will not change until the lamps themselves are off?

Are we talking playback X or submasters here as they do work slightly differently with regards HTP and LTP channels ?

Is it a good idea to program the scroll settings as pallettes? Would the submasters be of any use in setting up a variety of different atmospheres?

You can program the scroll setting as colour palettes, which you can then reference when programming memories/submasters. You can also program the colour values only onto submasters if you wish using partial programming down to attribute level.

Many Thanks,

Alex O'Donnell

K-Nine : Technically Advanced Roving Dog In Space

Bran Media | Myspace

Many thanks for the help.

Yes I did the give the manual a thorough read. But I'm sure you can appreciate it's harder to learn event procedures without the deck to hand!

Also, a quick opinion check. Do you think there is any need to terminate the DMX chain in this instance?

Regards,

Alex

You should always terminate the DMX chain. You may find you have no problems without it being done for the first few days, but then during the show lights start to flicker!

Just be careful on the strand racks, sometimes they have 'terminate' switches, make sure these are OFF unless they are on the end of the chain, and if you do have them on the end of the chain switch it on, and don't put a plug in (it does happen) otherwise things go wierd.

I often try to have the dimmers on the second output of the frog, just means if one of the scans starts to play silly ducks the dimmers continue working

Richard