Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

usage of submasters Fat Frog

CyberLight

Hi,

I am a new Fat Frog user. Actually I did only one show with my new desk so far. I have two questions about the usage of the submasters.

I have the desk in partial program mode.

I programmed a few scenes with and without fixtures to the submasters.

Now the following happens, I have a submaster up, which only contains fixture data. Next I slide up a submaster with only generic data (i.e the frontlights). My fixtures (trackspots) will go "out". I thought programming in partial mode would give me the oppertunity to program my fixtures "transparant". How can I achieve this?

Second: With the use of submasters the fixtures will snap in at the trigger level. This is ok for the LTP-parameters, but not for the dimmer. I want a slow fade in for the fixtures. I tried timed and un-timed transfer to the submaster. Both with the same result. How to do this?

Thrid: When I fade my submaster with fixture data off, the fixtures will stay on, whilst the generics fade out as supposed to. Only the master playback X will work. Shouldn't my fixtures have to fade out on their "own" submaster?

Fourth: I have programmed some scenes with fixtures to my submasters. Changing from one to another submaster will result in a snap beteeen the scenes. This is strange to me, because I have programmed a mirror speed of the fixtures into the scnenes. So the scans should "walk"slowly to their next position. I fixed this by programming a chase with only one step. But shouldn't it also work this way in a scene?

I know these are a lot of questions, but I hope someone can help me.

tia,

Philip Koning

Hi,

I am a new Fat Frog user. Actually I did only one show with my new desk so far. I have two questions about the usage of the submasters.

I have the desk in partial program mode.

I programmed a few scenes with and without fixtures to the submasters.

Were these 'scenes' programmed directly onto the submasters as channel data, or were they programmed as scene memories and then transferred onto the submasters ? This is important since channel data on submasters can only be output manually (at the moment).

Now the following happens, I have a submaster up, which only contains fixture data. Next I slide up a submaster with only generic data (i.e the frontlights). My fixtures (trackspots) will go "out". I thought programming in partial mode would give me the oppertunity to program my fixtures "transparant". How can I achieve this?

If raising another submaster causes the fixtures to go out it sounds as though there was some fixture data programmed onto that submaster. Did you check that all fixtures were untagged before pressing Program ?

Programming in partial mode should only record those fixtures that are tagged when you press the program button.

Additionally, you can choose to record a particular attribute if required.(eg colour only or position only)

Note - As generic channels and fixture brightness channels are HTP they are always recorded into the memory or submaster data regardless of which fixtures may be tagged when you hit program.

See Frog Series Manual (Issue 5) Page 5-3 for further details.

Second: With the use of submasters the fixtures will snap in at the trigger level. This is ok for the LTP-parameters, but not for the dimmer. I want a slow fade in for the fixtures. I tried timed and un-timed transfer to the submaster. Both with the same result. How to do this?

At present, if you want a timed fade on a submaster you have to program a scene memory with the generic and fixture data you want; set the fade up and down times as required, and then transfer the memory with time onto the submaster. I realise this may seem a little clunky and it is one area we are looking to improve in the next feature updates package later this year.

Thrid: When I fade my submaster with fixture data off, the fixtures will stay on, whilst the generics fade out as supposed to. Only the master playback X will work. Shouldn't my fixtures have to fade out on their "own" submaster?

This sounds like the fixture brightness may also be coming from the current memory on the playback X - and since fixture brightness channels are mixed HTP, then the fixture will still be 'on'.

Fourth: I have programmed some scenes with fixtures to my submasters. Changing from one to another submaster will result in a snap beteeen the scenes. This is strange to me, because I have programmed a mirror speed of the fixtures into the scnenes. So the scans should "walk"slowly to their next position. I fixed this by programming a chase with only one step. But shouldn't it also work this way in a scene?

Try setting an LTP fade time and position action to fade in the scene memory and ensure you transfer the memory with time onto the submaster - when the submaster is raised when it reaches the LTP trigger level, the position parameters should be triggered and fade to their new values.

I know these are a lot of questions, but I hope someone can help me.

tia,

Philip Koning

K-Nine : Technically Advanced Roving Dog In Space

Bran Media | Myspace