Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Group lock

ice

May not be a real bug, but I believe implementation isn't correct on this one.

Things to do:

- lock a pallet (colour/beamshape/position), the monitor will display pallet info

- now press group button, monitor shows release info as expected

- when released the monitor still shows group info, so I thought this screen was locked too

- now press a group button, notice the LEDs aren't lid. You're now flashing your normal channel instead of selecting a fixture group!

In my opinion, either the flash buttons should be locked to the fixture groups or the display should return to previous setting after releasing the group button again. The way it works now is kind of confusing.

> 500 posts, time for a new T-shirt? ;)

- lock a pallet (colour/beamshape/position), the monitor will display pallet info
Correct.
- now press group button, monitor shows release info as expected
:? err, what do you mean by "release info" ?? When I press the Group button, nothing at all happens on the monitor.
- when released the monitor still shows group info, so I thought this screen was locked too
Nope, for me, the monitor is still showing the palette screen.
- now press a group button, notice the LEDs aren't lid. You're now flashing your normal channel instead of selecting a fixture group!
Again, the monitor is showing the palettes, so the buttons select palettes.
In my opinion, either the flash buttons should be locked to the fixture groups or the display should return to previous setting after releasing the group button again. The way it works now is kind of confusing.
I'm kind of confused, since what you're describing is not at all what I see on the desk! You are running 9.8 aren't you?

I tried your instructions out yesterday ice, and the same thing happened to me as Paul - when I pressed Group after locking a pallet, nothing changed on the monitor. I would expect this behaviour, as if you've locked the pallet on the monitor then that's what you want to see? :wink:

sp

That's strange, maybe this console still runs 9.6.1 then, didn't check. When I pressed group button the "Fixture groups" screen was displayed and locked on the external monitor. The console is at a festival at the moment so I'll check the OS version tonight and update when that's nescessary.

I am running 9.8.1 but I didn't remember my actions correctly. Just press F1+Group and the group screen will lock on the monitor. The monitor will keep on displaying that screen until you press F1 again, but the flash buttons just act as they normally would.

press F1+Group and the group screen will lock on the monitor. The monitor will keep on displaying that screen until you press F1 again, but the flash buttons just act as they normally would.

Ah, well, now you put it like that, I can see what you're talking about :)

When palette lock was first suggested (Frog Reference 5397, CLICK HERE), it was just that, Palette Lock. If on the other hand the original request had been for Palette Lock and Group Lock, things might have turned out differently :D As it is, I can see how it could be confusing, so unless there are any major objections from anyone, it will go on the features list...

Frog Reference 5529 - Flash/SX buttons to perform Group functions when monitor is locked on Groups screen.