Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Naming Show Files

GLX

Have you ever considered writing the name of the show on the disk label ? :wink:

Any chance of being able to name a show when saving to disk, don't know about you boys but dates mean nothing to me.

It would make life a lot easier if you could see some text instead of a date.

Frog Reference No 5401 - Naming Shows - feature to be reviewed for inclusion in future update package.

K-Nine : Technically Advanced Roving Dog In Space

Bran Media | Myspace

• 1 year later...

When the frogs were first produced, they did not have an external keyboard interface for entering text, which is why the cursor keys on the front panel were used as a quick and simple method of selecting a show number. I think this has been mentioned before in the forums and is in the list of features to be considered for future updates.

Bran Media | Myspace

• 2 months later...

No doubt if we added in the new functionality of being to name a show, you would also want the text naming function improved so you could use the delete and backspace keys properly on the external keyboard, rather than the somewhat 'clunky' method of the cursor keys :twisted:

Bran Media | Myspace

• 2 weeks later...
What is the status with Frog Reference No 5401? Also, what is the maximum lenght of the file that can be used?

The status of FR #5401 is that it is still a future item to be reviewed.

Do you mean the maximum length of the show file itself, or the maximum length of the filename ?

There are many suggestions for future improvements and upgrades etc. to the frog series, but it is not up to me to say what or when any of these suggestions may be implemented.

That is a decision for the sales and marketing department, and the brand manager. They will have to decide the commercial viabilty of spending time and effort in improving the existing range, against developing new products :D

Bran Media | Myspace

What I was asking was for the filename length?

ie. show01.flt -> christmas04.flp

I'm sure that the show itself is limited to the 1.44MB of the floppy.

From previous post, the only name convention was by renaming the file from a regular PC. Right?

Hans Devouassoux

Capital Community Church

Hi,

usually filenames can be eight characters long if desk works with a fat16 filesystem.

Sebastian H.

Pro - Sound Showtechnik

The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.

Albert Einstein

"You can get a lot more done with a kind word and a gun"

Al Capone

Just done some quick tests, it seems filenames longer than 14 characters are not recognised by the desk.

If we did allow show naming on the desk, we could increase the number of characters from 14 to 18. The limiting factor is the display of the filenames on the LCD, which is only 20 characters wide. Knock off 1 character each side for the <field highlights>, and you get 18.

Note - if you rename the show file on a PC make sure you give it the correct file extension (.isf) or the desk will not recognise it as a Frog show file.

Just out of interest K-9 is that a custom file extension to Z88 or is it used for other things. If so what (apart from phantom frog)

Sam

Yet again, How about been able to name a show saved to disk :cry:

I think that naming a show is a good idea because i tour with a small band and i have different shows for different sets so it can be confusing when i have to use the number. 8O

It`s hard when i have 15 different shows. :!:

Of course it would be easier ... just offering an alternative solution which you may like to try ... if you have the time :)

Naming of shows is one of the many suggestions still in the database.

If, and when we decide to do another functional update to the frog series software, it will be considered and reviewed along with all the other ideas and suggestions.

Meanwhile our efforts are being concentrated on developing new products :wink:

Bran Media | Myspace

• 7 months later...

Okay, so it's possible to rename a show using a normal computer, but you cannot overwrite that show. I think it would be a nice option if current shows on the floppydrive which have a different name than the default ones are included in the "save show" screen; that way it would be possible to name your show (that's a lot better than writing on a piece of paper which show is what) and save when you update it.

> 500 posts, time for a new T-shirt? ;)