Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Submasters on your monitor (Fat Frog)

gargo1

I was thinking that it would help if while using your submasters the fader that you start to lift up would turn yellow on the monitor instead of the last one that you hit the bump button on. Scrolling through pages gets confusing enough. To have to look up at the monitor to see what Submaster you want and then have to look at the board to make sure you are grabbing the right one takes more time. If you could just look at the monitor and start to fade up a little bit on one and it turn yellow you could be able to work faster. What do ya'll think? Maybe there is a reason for this but I wish you could chose which option best suites your needs. Thanks!

Surely pushing up random faders until you get the one you want is not a particularly sensible way of finding them, what if you had one with all lanterns to full, without any fade on it?

Obviously they would start dim, but this wouldn't really be good for your lanterns, or, I expect your reputation. You wouldn't be impressed if the houselights started to come on in the middle of a show you were at, would you?

Although, this would provide an early-ish warning if you were leaning on subs.... What's anyone else think?

Chris

If the yellow light would switch to the subs that you start to raise the fader on at 1% you wouldn't see the lights coming on. That is why I was saying if there was a way to make it a choice to do this in the defaults you could change it to what ever you prefer. I just use conventionals in my subs and use my fixtures in memories. So the conventionals you wouldn't see at 1%.

Perhaps not exactly what you want, but note that as any submaster is pushed past 0% it turns green across the submasters bar at the bottom of the monitor. When it is returned to 0 the green goes out.

Another alternative is to make sure the flash function is Off and then just run your fingers along the flash buttons until you get to what you want. Then just knock up the sub above your finger. That would save a little bit of time.

sp

Sorry,

I had presumed that lanterns were off, ie no preheat, as such turning them on slightly, so I thought, would be at least slightly damaging to the lamps, hence preheat. If preheat was set up then it would make no difference as lanterns would be on that much anyway.

Chris

Thanks,

I can't wait till this weekend at work to check out the bottom of the monitor for the color change. I am sure this is what I was needing if it does what you say. I appreciate that bit of information!! This support group is GREAT!!