Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Submaster Page Lock

Brian

I do a lot of live, very busked, shows. It's partly the way I work on the Frog I've been using up to now but I usually end up with a load of submasters programmed up with a load of different looks and soon end up very confused as to what I've got where and what is overlayed with what.

Now, with my shiny new Mambo sitting on the table downstairs I haven't had a chance to gig it yet but a thought struck me...

With two physical banks of submasters to play with it would be nice to be able to 'lock' the page of one set of submasters whilst the others continue to be affected by the page select buttons. The trade off would be the loss of half your submaster memories but with 480 to play with I don't see that as a huge problem.

So on the Mambo you'd lock the bottom bank to subs 13-24 and put your generic, 'always to hand' looks there leaving the top bank where you can still change pages. To make it more general to the range you could lock the right hand section of 6 faders on the Frog/Fat/Leap.

ex-Leap Frog Owner, ex-Mambo Frog Owner, ex-XLS Owner, ex-Alcora Owner, ex-Elara Owner

Owner of a big pile of Betapack 2s

Bozone (n): The substance surrounding stupid people that stops bright ideas from penetrating.

"Am I dreaming this?" "No, and you ain't in Kansas neither."

"Longbottom's been neglecting his ear muffs."

I seem to remember suggesting something along these lines before, to be met with, 'the submaster overlay as it is currently seems to be fine for most users.' It may have been given a Frog Reference number, I can't remember just now. You may well find Brian once you put the SX buttons to good use on your mambo that you're ok. :)

Edit: I think it was this topic, and the quote I was looking for was

This is how the submasters work on the frogs and so far this appears to be acceptable.

It may be given a FR number now though.

sp

Thanks sp,

I'd seen the topic you linked to but thought that what I was suggesting was slightly different. I can see what you wanted to achieve but can also see how , from a software and operation point of view, it's a tricky thing to do.

ex-Leap Frog Owner, ex-Mambo Frog Owner, ex-XLS Owner, ex-Alcora Owner, ex-Elara Owner

Bozone (n): The substance surrounding stupid people that stops bright ideas from penetrating.

Agree!

That's an other very handy feature when available!

Suggestion to implement this: "press & hold the 'selected' submaster flash buttons for the submasters which should be locked through submaster pages, when changing these submaster pages."

In other words, the contents of the sm's in page x are 'copied' in page y.

Also possible as a bonus: an adjustable genuine Zero88 green velvetised Frog submaster button pressing vise (approx 12" wide max.).

While this would be a nice feature to have occassionally, I think we need to remember that things like this can easily make the user interface too complicated, and that's not what the frogs are about. So much has been added since the first software release that the front panel is pretty crowded as it is now, so I'd say it's better to leave it as it is. Just plan carefully where you put your subs :)

sp

I have to agree with sp above on this one and I think Graham would too :D

However, in general discussions on possible features etc we have mentioned the possibility of being able to copy a submaster onto the same fader on all pages in a single operation rather than copying 1-1 to 2-1, 1-1 to 3-1, 1-1 to 4-1 ..... etc up to page 20.

K-Nine : Technically Advanced Roving Dog In Space

Bran Media | Myspace

I take the point on keeping it simple.

The copy feature as outlined would certainly achieve the same thing.

I take the point on keeping it simple.

That is usually one of the main criteria when adding or modifying functions on the frog desks. Many ideas and suggestions are theoretically possible from an implementation point of view but not necessarily from a user interface or operator's point of view :)

The copy feature as outlined would certainly achieve the same thing.

There are many ways to skin a cat ... er .. frog :D

K-Nine : Technically Advanced Roving Dog In Space

Bran Media | Myspace

i would find a submaster master very useful, as i do many live shows on the 48 channel fades of my fat frog, and use the A and B master faders as masters for those, submaster one would be very useful. maybe in future desks, or does the frog 2 have it?

cheers

Gab

I'm pretty sure with the Frog 2 all sorts of combinations are possible with the faders. For these desks though I still think it might be worth an option in Super User sacrificing the last submaster fader on the desk to be used as a Submaster Master. In fact, I would love that :D

sp