Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Accurate timings

ice

Exactly how accurate is the memory timing on Frog consoles? I've programmed a show to music and used some fade times of zero or close to zero (0.1, 0.2). I noticed these times aren't too accurate. For instance a fade time of 0.0 on memory 1 with an auto trigger to memory 2 should immediately go to 2 right? Since theres no fade time and no dwell. Instead of going there at once it needs some calculation time I think, and then it goes to the next memory.

Okay, I understand I'm pushing the limits here, but I just wanted to point out a really well timed show is almost impossible when you've got to deal with these problems :) I've made some work-arounds with manual GO presses, now it works just fine.

> 500 posts, time for a new T-shirt? ;)

The desk loop (and DMX refresh) time is approx 35ms (0.035s). This is the finite timing resolution of the desk. If you're trying to use times anywhere near this resolution, you're going to run into problems. Even if the desk could go at the theoretical maximum DMX rate of 22.7ms, what you're trying to achieve would still be nigh on impossible.