Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Phantom Frog vs the real thing

pcm

Hi,

I've tried to use Phantom Frog on a PC (Windows XP) to create a small sequence to run from a floppy disk on the Bull Frog, and equally tried to examine a short show generated on the desk by saving it to a floppy and trying to look at it on a PC.

I can't see the original files on either alternative bit of equipment. I've used a hex editor to see if the PC file contained NAME captioning information, which it did. Anyone know what's happening, please?

It would be useful to caption shows at home, with the script and a brew!

Another little point, I can't read any of the key captions on the images and there are no diagrams of the key layouts with key captions. For a recently new user, when away from the desk, it would be useful to have this within Phantom Frog.

Thanks,

Regards

Paul

I can't see the original files on either alternative bit of equipment.

Do you have the 'Floppy Path' setting in Phantom Frog pointing at your floppy drive (usually A:) ?

I can't read any of the key captions on the images.

The panel artworks in Phantom Frog are quite low resolution, in order to keep the download to a reasonable size. If you hover over the controls, you will see some help text appear in the status bar (bottom left) to tell you what they are.

Does it usually work

Always works for me, even under Windows XP SP2. Do you have Phantom Frog 9.8 on your PC, and also 9.8 installed on the desk?

I'm guessing here, but is it some antivirus software, account priviliges or something else you have installed that's stopping Phantom Frog from talking to the floppy drive?

Thanks, yes it's 9.8 on both. I'll try another floppy - it was re-used but re-formatted. Thanks for your help, I'll try again tonight.

Reporting back, a new disk worked fine. I realised later that I'd copied the isf file from the hard drive to the floppy rather than saving directly to the floppy. Are there hidden files? The desk doesn't seem to like reformatting old floppy disks - gives an error on three of them.

Thanks again,

Paul

Hi Paul,

No, there are no hidden files, just the .isf . Are the problem disks 1.44MB HD? You've not found some old 720K DD disks from the olden days have you? We've got a box of old really disks here and I'm sure some of them are those 80's ones!!

I know this might be a silly question, but it's not the write protect tab on the disk is it?

Regards,

Paul.

Hi Paul,

No, checked for the usual, and they were 1.44HD with the tab in the right place. Some were from Microsoft old Win95 disks, others similarly redundant from a computing lab we've been clearing out since they've moved to a shiny new building! I'll try a few more. It's just getting a feel for what should or shouldn't happen on unfamiliar kit - helps to have an experienced viewpoint. Thanks.

Regards,

Paul