Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Running Show stops when entering Desk Setup

Morn

Is there a chance to let the show move on, when changing from Super User menu to Desk Setup menu?

I had to change the Pan/Tilt swappings during a show 'cause I noticed that they're mixed a bit up after installing OS 9.8. It really sucked when the show stopped for this while...

So, if you don't start drinking...I'm gonna leave!!!

Just curious, but why do you ask this? In my opinion your desk setup should be worked out long before the show, even before you start programming things. Once you've started that there's no function in Super User which you really have to use I guess. So what's up? :)

> 500 posts, time for a new T-shirt? ;)

The problem is that I didn't had the chance to enter our beloved club before it really opened. First thing I did was upgrading software (usually guests don't come precisely at 22:00 *gg*) so it doesn't matter when lighting system does not work for a while at the beginning. Then around 23:30 or so when I striked the fixtures first, I noticed that pan/tilt of our scanners didn't work right. So I said to myself:..."Must have something to do with the update; you read something about pan/tilt swapping in the release notes. Let's go to the desk setup and fix it quickly." And schwupp...everything froze...crying, sighing, LJ sad... :cry:

And to prevent beeing sad again someday I'm asking for this ;-)

P.S.: Next thing, which is even worser, was that I noticed that my Frog Run scores were gone after upgrade....but that's an other topic.....

Yeah, well I don't want to be an ass about this but that's your own fault. You should set up before showtime, even if it's the day before show if you can't get in. It's bad asking Zero for software upgrades for these things; there useless, take time and avoid other big things being implemented. Just make sure your desk is set up next time, and everything will be fine.

> 500 posts, time for a new T-shirt? ;)

Hey man... So how could I know that the damn Pan/Tilt stuff is messing around with me...before the update everything worked as it should...and the release notes just said that pan/tilt swapping was fixed. Nothing about a nessesary reconfiguring because of that!!! And nowhere in the Manual is written down, that the damn f***ing show stops when I'm entering Desk Setup.

You know, I think this forums aim is it to make the Frog Desks better and so I post everything, what seems strange to me or may be a bug to this forum. What of this stuff, or of the stuff posted by other users is useless is neither your or mine decision. It's Zero88s. And I trust in them, that they'll make the right decisions, what's important, usesless, easy or fast to implement or whats ever.

I'm just posting what in my opinion went wrong with the desk. Maybe this could prevent others from running in the same situation as me, by update or by just simple read about it...and maybe all those little or big improvements could change the mind of my colegues who all are wishing back our old Scan and Lightcommander and say that the Fat Frog is the biggest crap ever build for controlling lamps.

Hi folks,

We do appreciate people taking the time to post comments about the desks on the forum. They do all get read (eventually, little orange flags permitting!) and discussed around the office. Even if suggestions don't make it into the desk, they do give us ideas for other products. Frog2 is a product that was born out of the many suggestions on this forum which could not be satisified on the Frog1 hardware.

You will understand that we have to make judgements about what is reasonable and practical to implement in the desk. Since we do not charge for software updates, we need to ensure that those which we invest our time in including, give the most benefit to the majority of users. We would also like them to result in increased sales of the desks! Other considerations are what competition the desks are up against in the market, how the Frog's fit into our product range, how any changes will affect the ease-of-use of the desk, what other projects we need to be working on etc. etc.

In this particular case, whilst we understand that it may be a nuisance that the desk cannot run the show while in Super User, there's not really a lot we can do about it. Super-User is a deliberately hidden menu that is only meant for use during setup, and not for when the punters are in the room.

There are many other feature suggestions on this forum which will give real operational benefits to many users, and these are the ones which we will concentrate on for future releases. When you see a Frog Reference number, do a search for it and see how many other topics come up. That will give you a measure of what the real big issues are.

Paul.

But you were...Making sentences like: "I don't want to be an ass about it, but..." means that after this always come a "but I am" :?

But let's forget about it, and better have some fun here :D