Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Additional Keyboard Functionality

ice

With the new OS update it's possible to name things via the F2 key on the keyboard. The only problem with that; you still need to press Memories / Submaster etc. on the console; that's annoying. Could memories be mapped to M, submasters to S, Beamshape to B, colour C and position P? That way we can name everything with the keyboard, a lot faster!

> 500 posts, time for a new T-shirt? ;)

With the new OS update it's possible to name things via the F2 key on the keyboard. The only problem with that; you still need to press Memories / Submaster etc. on the console; that's annoying. Could memories be mapped to M, submasters to S, Beamshape to B, colour C and position P? That way we can name everything with the keyboard, a lot faster!

Yeah I certainly agree - slightly defeats the point of the function keys being mapped to the keyboard currently. If it could get confusing with letter keys also being used to select subs, memories etc. maybe some other function keys could be used, as they are currently unmapped.

sp

Come on folks, out with all your additional keyboard mappings!

Let's do this all in one go, rather than over several software releases. Speak now, or forever hold thy peace :)

We already have:

Frog Reference 5419 - Modify the action of the cursor keys, and others where necessary on the external keyboard to relate to the monitor screen rather than simply mimic the front panel cursor keys. This will probably then require + and - to be used to mimic the + and - keys on the desk.

Frog Reference 5493 - Use the function keys F5 - F8 on external keyboard as short cuts to fade times on memories screen.

Other stuff for the keyboard:

Insert Key as Insert Key on console

Tab key to tab through the columns in the memory and submaster screens.

Page Up and Down to page up and down through memories without moving which memory is highlighted as "Next Memory".

Contorversial one, but the escape key just to take you to the memory screen with Memory 0 highlighted.

A button like the Pause/ Break button or another unused one to be a shortcut into Super User.

I also agree with M, S, C, B, P as their relevents for naming.

Thanks,

Sam[/b]

I would say have Esc which takes you back to the very first column, in memory/submaster screen etc. Tab takes you to the next column, Shift-Tab takes you back a column, just like on a computer.

The extra function keys could also be mapped to specific fields - fade times etc.

Insert key, I agree. Is 'Clear' mapped? If not perhaps something like Delete the key?

The other function keys could simulate the 'Memories' 'Submasters' buttons in all screens. I.e. used for naming, or just changing screens quickly.

sp

I wouldn't go with the delete key for clear as on the new OS release it can be used to actually delete text entry. The rest of them I agree would be good.

The Esc. key could be used like this:

Whne in a menue or super user, etc. Pressing it takes you up a level. When in normal desk mode in say preview, outputs, submasters etc. pressing the Esc. key takes you to Memory with Mem. 0 Highlighted not Gone!!

What do people think of the Page Up/ Down thing?? It would be useful if you did not want to move what the next cue is going to be but you wanted to have a look at the rest of you q's. When you pressed Go it could automaticly snap back up so you can see the next (highlighted) cue.

Sam

pressing the Esc. key takes you to Memory with Mem. 0 Highlighted not Gone!!

I personally don't think going to memory 0 is really a good idea, I don't see the need. When editing something etc. I often instinctively press the Escape key to get out of whatever I'm doing, and wouldn't appreciate it if a blackout was cued up without me realising. Exiting a menu etc. I do think is more appropriate.

sp

• 8 months later...
Quite a lot of functions are available from the keyboard nowadays.

However, there's something that would streamline things a bit more:

Would it be possible to enable the Insert and Delete keys on an external keyboard to function as the Insert and Clear buttons in the manual patch window?

It's currently possible to do almost everything related to patching via the keyboard, except to clear channel patches (individually that is), and to assign multible dmx channels to a single desk channel.

Most of my patches assign multible dmx channels to a single fader, and especially when performing an intricate patch (48 channel led controller, anyone) , I write everything down beforehand to rule out mistakes. If you could use the insert button on the keyboard, you can just type away, without having to go back to the desk for the insert button all the time, which frankly gets annoying quite soon.

Moderation: Post moved into this thread.