Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

rotating gobo's

Jason

Question for ya! Started doing a fair few conferences. When displaying company logo's in my mac 250+s, I'll position the logo's, store to a memory then transfer with time to a sub (on a fat frog). If I go to another scene or chase then change back to that scene the logo's dont go back to there original position. Apparantly the 250+s are capable of this so is there a particular way with my desk?

All help would grateful :):)

Hi,

this seemed to be a error of fixtures gobo indexing electronic.

You should have some play with your Mac´s rotating gobo´s

I´m sure that after rotating the gobo fast it couldn´t find it´s indexed

position.

Sebastian H.

Pro - Sound Showtechnik

The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.

Albert Einstein

"You can get a lot more done with a kind word and a gun"

Al Capone

Well, the Mac 250+ allows you to select gobos on one channel, and set the indexing/rotation on another. The first channel allows you to rotate the gobos or index them, depending on which DMX values you use to select them. If you were rotating the gobos and then setting the index to 0 when you found the desired orientation, then this would not be replayable.

What you should be doing is using the indexing function. Thus to index Gobo 3, you need a DMX value of between 15 and 19 on the gobo select channel and you can then use the gobo index channel to set the indexing.

If this doesn't replay properly, then as others have suggested, it is probably a fault in the unit.

Mac 250+ DMX Chart

Peter Kirkup

Kirkup is very right :-) use the gobo index function not the rotating gobo function to get the right gobo position...

Sebastian H.

Pro - Sound Showtechnik

Albert Einstein

Al Capone

Keep in mind that a few of the MAC 250+ have reported a fault where there are dry joints on the sensor board inside the fixtures. I am aware of this for colour and gobos have issues homing when cold, then sort themselves out once they warm up. The same sensors are used on the indexing function, and may just need to be resoldered (6 spots on the sensor boards, three on the sensor, three on the plug).

Note that if none of you 250s are indexing correctly you may need to make sure you programming is correct for idexing and not rotating gobo. If the issue just appears in one unit not indexing correctly, it may be a sensor issue. :roll:

Use the arrow keys to scroll thru fixtures menu until it shows "PSet" then scroll until it shows "MOdE" choose "DMX4" be sure you use the mode4 fixturefile fo your Macs.

Useful Hint:

If the display is wrong directed (upside down) then push both arrow keys (up and down) at same time then the display turns.

Sebastian H.

Pro - Sound Showtechnik

Albert Einstein

Al Capone

go into super user and then desk setup. then assign fixtures

when you are in the assign fixtures menu, find martin on the list(may need the floppy disk) and then find mac 250+. there should then be 4 more mac 250 +, each with modes 1 - 4 after them. choose your desired mode.

so you will have to load a new fixture in, and then go down to patch functions and redo your dmx addresses.

As regards to the Personality settings, Where are they? I've looked through the manual can't find it.

Are you using glass or metal gobos in your logos. I have found if using metal gobos the gobo slips inside the Mac 250+ holder. You can never get it orientated correctly. I use a bit a adhesive Black Wrap aroung gobo to increase the size, usually works.