Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Basing a (memory|chase|scene|submaster) on a fixed position

pscandrett

Hi

This is something I've been having trouble with - I thought that it should do this, but last time I tried it I'm sure it didn't. Having reread the manual just now I'm sure that what I'm doing should work (s7-6 in the Mambo Frog manual issue 3) but it doesn't seem to. I'm probably being stupid.

Sorry, that didn't make much sense.

I currently use pallettes for colour, beamshape and position (often using the F1 lock feature) so I can access, er, pallettes quickly during a show and programming. It's perhaps worth saying at this point I don't use the SX stuff for anything else - I should probably look into them further, really! Anyway, that's not the point.

What I want to do is base a whole load of programs/chases etc all referencing back to one point in the desk's memory - that of a position pallette - so that when I do the show next time I just need to reposition those positions (ie rerecord the position pallette button) and all the corresponding chases/positions/memories/submasters will automatically be pointing in the right places.

I hope that makes sense - sorry I'm not terribly coherent this evening! :-)

Am I going about this the right way?

A hypothetical real life example... say I want the macs to sweep from umpteen positions on stage to one central point and back, or something. I might create a memory/chase based on two position pallettes - one for 'centre of stage' and one for 'umpteen positions'. Then at each venue, all* I need to do is re-record the pallettes for 'centre stage' and 'umpteen positions' and the chase/sequence/other presets will automatically look lovely without having to rerecord them.

Is this correct? If so, what could I be doing wrong in my programming? (Mambo Frog, partial mode)

Many thanks

Hi pscandrett,

please be patient when I misunderstood - I answer you my personal suggestion to get your things work.

Before you program a cuestack you program all LTP presets to your desk. Then begin to plot your show using your pallets - without change anything before its stored. Know while playback the memorys activate the corresponding palette.

In other venue to get position/colour/beamshapes in right order you have to change your palettes only - the memory will activate them.

This is something I've been having trouble with - I thought that it should do this, but last time I tried it I'm sure it didn't. Having reread the manual just now I'm sure that what I'm doing should work (s7-6 in the Mambo Frog manual issue 3) but it doesn't seem to. I'm probably being stupid.

It´s recommended that when using palettes no LTP value is changed while programmed to a memory when you want it to correspondent with palettes

I'm not terribly coherent this evening!

I´m sure that you aren´t the only one being incoherent as I have a little lag in your language - I´m still learning day by day.

Sebastian H.

Pro - Sound Showtechnik

The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.

Albert Einstein

"You can get a lot more done with a kind word and a gun"

Al Capone

But does this work when you want to program effects?

I am trying to do something similiar - ie have palettes to define fixed positions on a stage which can be edited as I move from venue to venue.

I want to have some movement effects which are based on these fixed positions (ie as starting points) but from reading other posts there appear to be some issues when movement effects are edited in palettes. I thought that I could perhaps use submasters or the memory stack but if I reference a palette then I reference all of the position data. :cry:

Do I need to define these starting positions twice? - ie once in a palette to allow me to busk fixed positions and again on a memory or submaster which can be edited at each venue for the movement effects I want to use?

If I do have to do this then is there an easy way (when editing a movement effect on a submaster or memory) to stop the effect and position the head at the effect "starting" position?

Sorry if this is slightly off topic - I hope it is related.

Thanks,

Andrew.

There are some issues to do with editing palettes containing movement effects, which will be cleared up in the next software release.

Unfortunately it is not possible to record Positions and Movements independantly. As with all other partial recording to parameter level issues, the user interface controls on the desk just aren't available to select which parameters are recorded and which aren't. I know I'm in danger of re-awakening old arguments from the regulars by repeating this 8)

However :wink: if you call up a position palette containing the centre positions (and any or no movement - doesn't matter), then set the movement effect parameters using the wheels so they're NOT showing Pxx (xx is the palette number), then what will be recorded into your Memory/Submaster/SX will be the centre position from your palette plus a non-paletted movement effect.

To quickly stop the movement effect when editing Memories / Submasters / SXs, just change the effect to 'None'. Then when you're done editing the centre position, put the effect back to Ellipse/Quad/Tri/Figure8, and save your edits.