Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Frog into Alcora

cherowbrier

The Frog has no analogue outputs so:

Can I plug the DMX out of the frog into an Alcora which does have analogue outs? This assumes the analogue outs are just a mini de-mux.

Alternatively is there a way of making the alcora trigger on some kind of cue from the frog desk?

It is a little annoying that you've got a desk worth so much and it doesn't come with analogue outs, it's cheaper little brother does.

Thanks.

The Alcora/Elara come as standard with DMX output only. No DMX input.

There are analogue output kits you can fit to the Alcora/Elara, however they're +10V only. No negative option.

The trouble is, if your going to do analogue, then to do it properly you really have to offer the negative -10V option too. And negative makes the power supply and electronics for the desk more complex and thus expensive. Analogue is disappearing fast from desks whatever the price, get them while you can :wink:

The Demux24 can be programmed on a socket by socket basis to be +10V or -10V output. The Demux48 requires an upgrade card to convert banks of 24 channels to -10V.

Please be aware that although the Demux48 is still in production (just), it's getting harder and harder for us to source the components required to build them, and sooner or later we will no longer be able to accept orders for the Demux48. Contact your dealer for further information.

I think you'll find anywhere that paying more for a desk doesn't get you Analogue, it gets you Ethernet 8)

I can't immediately think of any way of triggering an Alcora from a Frog. I guess if you could decode a single DMX channel from the Frog and use that to close a relay on the Remote Go input to the Alcora, that might work. Probably more hassle than just getting a Demux though :)

Wow, that's dedication Paul, half ten on a Saturday night, I was not expecting a reply from a service engineer.

I knew you had a reputation for good service but I didn't know it was that good.

+ 10 volts is fine, thing is we own an Alcora with the analogue out option, we hired a Leapfrog for this week because it's the school show and we're using a set of moving heads.

Thing is I'd forgotten to think about the fact this frog wouldn't have analogue outs. Idiot!

The hire company wanted £35 a week for a demux.

Does what you'v said mean no the Alcora doesn't include a mini demux to get the analogues out. Is it direct from the faders and as such will my plugging the two DMX outs together just not work.

Otherwise I think I might just have to resort to putting both side by side and hitting go at the same time.

Thanks.

Wow, that's dedication Paul, half ten on a Saturday night

I'm not often around at this time of night, but I trapped my finger in a car door yesterday, and the pain is keeping me awake 8O

Does what you'v said mean no the Alcora doesn't include a mini demux to get the analogues out. Is it direct from the faders and as such will my plugging the two DMX outs together just not work.

Correct.

Otherwise I think I might just have to resort to putting both side by side and hitting go at the same time.

Just like the good old days with the broom handle for a Grand Master then :lol:

Slighly Off Topic I´am sorry Cherobrier:

I'm not often around at this time of night, but I trapped my finger in a car door yesterday, and the pain is keeping me awake

Indeed a reason being here ... :)

I hope being here could help to take your mind off your pain.

My thumb was trapped by a caselid last night :( so I feel with you.

Zero88´s employees assignment to their product´s is unprecedented.

Ein ganz dolles Lob an alle Zero88 mitarbeiter !!

Just like the good old days with the broom handle for a Grand Master then

better using a broom handle then a hammer

Sebastian H.

Pro - Sound Showtechnik

The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.

Albert Einstein

"You can get a lot more done with a kind word and a gun"

Al Capone

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought,

If you want to trigger both desks simultaneously, could u not wire up a very simple push-switch . This would plug into the Remote Go of the Alcora, and the Remote Switch socket of the Frog. Set this remote switch on the frog to 'Go' and then just hit the switch to cue both desks together.

Yes/no?

sp