Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

A few requests

richard

- A blind editing mode.

- A remote (as does everyone)

- A way of being able to type a cue number in instead of having to scroll

- An inhibit function

- The ability to only program specific attributes for a fixture (ie Pan and tilt, or colour, or gobo) to allow more flexible busking with submasters.

There are more things but I think these are trhe most important for now

Hey, what happened to The Light Network ???!!!??? I can't find it anywhere....

OK, so you all want partial memories (or submasters) to work down to attribute level, rather than just down to fixture level as they do at the moment. This one seems to be popping up a lot in everyone's wish lists!

How about if we did something like...

When in partial mode, hitting Program records all tagged fixtures as it does at the moment. However (the new bit), if when you hit Program you're also holding down any of Colour, Beamshape or Position, then it only records those attributes of the tagged fixtures.

The other thing we then have to think about is how to display back to the operator what they've recorded in any given memory/submaster...

Hi All,

We are currently looking at ways to implement attribute-level recording. Paul has raised some important issues which need to be addressed. SO, now is the time that this forum starts to come into it's own.

You guys can provide us with important feedback as to how we can implement a feature that is being requested.

As they say... Let's Talk.

K-Nine : Technically Advanced Roving Dog In Space

Bran Media | Myspace

The Light Network is still going strong at Delphi Forums. Delphi has implemented some changes, which include having to pay to be able to do things which were previously free. However you can still access it for free and read & post messages as before. The old URL www.lightnetwork.com has been taken over by someone else who has set up an alternative forum but the old one is still accessible using the URL below

http://forums.delphiforums.com/lightnetwork/messages

Anyway back to topic, to implement the partial memories thing. Well my suggestion is to go along the same lines as Avolites have done with their consoles (I'm not advocating copying Avo!). They have two separate record modes, record by fixture and record by channel. In record by fixture as soon as one fixture attribute is changed then all the fixtures parameters are recorded. This is much as the Frog's work in partial mode currently. In record by channel only the edited attributes since you last pressed clear are stored. This doesn't seem the easiest way to implement this on the Frog's however as I am guessing it would require a major re-design in architecture. The Avo consoles use something called the programmer where all data is stored before saving. Not knowing the inner workings of the Frog's I'm not sure if there is something similar on them.

I like Paul's idea on how to do this but I'm not sure how you could represent this without a major re-design of the screens. One suggestion I would make is to copy how the 250's & 500's worked but that wouldn't be that easy as their interpretation of full and partial memories was completely different.

That's just my thoughts for now; I'll have more of a think when I haven't just come back from the pub and post again.

I understand what you are saying about free upgrades but as I have said on the Light Network I feel your product range is lacking a desk with these fixtures and I feel the Frog family can fill this gap. However I do understand what the aims where when this console was first designed.

Anyway I've rambled on enough, anyone else got any input???

Bye for now.

John Huson

Lighting Manager

Pearce Hire

http://www.pearcehire.co.uk

The venue I now work in, have had a sirius250 for a couple of years, which actually was a great desk for doing live gigs on band you haven't heard or seen before. On the Sirius250 there were fantastic palettes working in both program mode and Run mode. This is, for me, the biggest loss now when the Sirius died after long time with illness. Zero88 were really good to us, and gave us a FatFrog in exchange for the Sirius. We are extremely grateful for it.

But for a club like ours, run by students, where we have smaller bands coming without their own Light designer, the ability to program positions, movement and shapes without beamshape and colour information, for to put in the beamshape and colour information from palettes live, makes the whole programming session faster. I simply doesn't have the time to program all the cues I'm using during a show between soundcheck and show. And that is the reality when you are working on a FatFrog... I know i can use a palette to change an attribute after raising the submaster above the LTP trigger point, but in most shows I want to fade between two or more positions with lights on, and a soon as the next submaster, containing the next position is raised above the LTP t.p., all beamshape and colour info will go out...

In my opinion the frog needs either an OFF button (like on the Pearl), to switch off all colour and beamshape information when programming Pan/Tilt things, or a better definition on what will be recorded when recording in partial mode. On the Sirius, there were both Full scene, partial scene, full chase and partial chase. This gave the user full freedom to program the way he liked, and that is the bottom line of what I'm missing. Freedom to do it the way I like it, the way that saves time for me...

It sounds like I'm expecting to get a Rolls Royce even though I have paid for a Honda, but I'm totally aware of the fact that this is a low budget desk. But you asked for opinions - you get them :wink:

Thank you for giving me your valuable time, I'm looking foreward to take more of it at Plasa!

-bjørnar

• 6 months later...
- A blind editing mode

Frog Reference No 5379 - Edit Blind - to be reviewed.

- A remote (as does everyone)

Six configurable Remote Switches added in Release 5.

Frog Reference No 5380 - Riggers Remote - to be reviewed.

- A way of being able to type a cue number in instead of having to scroll

Numeric entry of memory numbers, fade times, DMX addresses etc. from external keyboard implemented in Release 7.

- An inhibit function

Frog Reference No 5415 - Inhibit Function - to be reviewed.

- The ability to only program specific attributes for a fixture (ie Pan and tilt, or colour, or gobo) to allow more flexible busking with submasters

Partial programming doen to attribute level implemented in Version 7.

Frog Reference No 5402 - Partial recording down to individual fixture parameters- to be reviewed.

K-Nine : Technically Advanced Roving Dog In Space

Bran Media | Myspace

• 1 year later...

A feature that I really miss when not working with ETC Obsession IIs is the inhibitive submaster option. It would be really useful if a sub could be user set to be normal (the current HTP on generics/conventionals and LTP on moving lights) or set "inhibitive" where a LOWEST takes precedence such that activating the sub would override any higher values on controlled channels. Whether "activated" would be up or down on a sub fader I leave to someone wiser to figure out.

I hope to take possession soon of my first Fat Frog!

DJ_vortex

IL USA