Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

DMX Errors Mambo Frog + Strobe

Halo_djk

On our second universe we have a 12 channel dimmer rack (CH 1 - 12) and on 13 and 14 we have a Geni 1k strobe. It seems whenever I give the strobe anything above %50 on either dimmer or rate controls the DMX on that channel seems to go nutty. EG set dimmer at 100, speed at %49 strobe runs normally, make the rate channel %55 the rate slows down and speeds up randomly. This also seems to happen on the dimmer channel, give it %55 percent on the dimmer channel and the strobe flashes bright dark bright dark.

Intresting thing is if I give it %100 on either channel, the channel acts normally, it only seems the problem lies at %50 to %95 percent on either 13 0r 14.

The strobe seems fine on our old desk, and I have not noticed any problems with the dimmer rack. I do remember this strobe used to have a terminator on the back (A resistor poked in the out jcak) a few years back, but when it was removed it never made any diffrence.

Is there some reason the strobe would now need a resistor again just because of the Mambo frog it's connected.

DMX lines should always be terminated with a 120ohm resistor between pins 2 & 3 at the last device on the chain. If you leave the resistor off, it might work sometimes, however sometimes if it's a cloudy day, or there's an 'R' in the month, it might not :) Best to always fit the resistor and not chance it.

Let us know if fitting the termination resistor sorts your problem out.

Paul.

There used to be a terminator on that strobe, don't know where it went, but didn't need if for the old desk...

We installed the terminator yesterday with no luck, the same problem exists! Even tried running a new cable direct from the Frog to the strobe with the terminator, still no luck. I Even tried running the strobe on DMX 1 instead of it's usual setting of 13 (Right after the Dimmer rack, the only other unit on this universe).

This strobe has never exhibited these problems before, right up to the point where the new frog was installed, the strobe was operating correctly.

As a last ditch effort I ran the strobe manually from its internal controls just to make sure it wasn't a tube problem, the strobe performed flawlessly. Unless the strobe is having problems on the DMX decoding the tube and high voltage sections seem to be fine.

Both the Robe DMX 1024 and the previous desk an Avolites Azure have run the strobe fine.

We have a newer model Geni Strobe (a 3K) brand new in the box I will try out, but I was trying to keep the 1K in use as I can run dimmer chases on this one, as the new one freezes its brightness channel, until you stop moving the dimmer level. This makes it impossible to gently fade up the dimmer as it waits till you stop moving the channel before it adjusts the actual brightness. I will however run this new one as a test and see if the same problem happens.

Anyone able to shed some light on this, perhaps another Geni Strobe owner.

Hi,

Can you let me know the serial number of your Mambo Frog? Probably best by PM, since some users have concerns about posting desk serial numbers on the public forum. Maybe ebay fraudsters could use them or something, I don't know...

Thanks,

Paul.