Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Quick flash scenes

Jan Giezen

Like to have a possibility to assign memories (read scenes) to, for example, the twelve submaster flashbuttons so that I can direct call a scene without the need to switch to another submasterbank.

Running submasters should still continu, so the flashbuttons should work on LTP base, after releasing the flashbutton the called scene should quit and everythig should be as before pressing the button.

In best the button should be act as a switch and you could use one of the function keys to decide if the flashbuttons would operate as normal or as de dedicated quickflashbuttons.

:?: :idea: :?

"everythig should be as before pressing the button"

This is not easy, because whilst the submaster flash button is pressed:

- chases can be running from other sources

- timed fades can be progressing from other sources

- your other hand can be moving faders and pressing buttons

You are talking about a new type of mixing which is neither conventional HTP nor LTP. It is priority based mixing, which would be extremely difficult to define to every users satisfaction.

• 1 month later...

I would suggest that the best option given the current series of Frog desks and software would be to use the SX buttons on a Mambo Frog.

This will allow you up to 48 memories (scenes or chases) to be transferred onto the buttons, which can be individually set to flash, solo or have a timed fade up/down as required. :idea:

K-Nine : Technically Advanced Roving Dog In Space

Bran Media | Myspace

OK, I can understand that it is a hard thing to do, cause I am a software developper too, but suggesting the use of a mambofrog is out of the question I think, cause I own the fatfrog not yet for one year now and I need the 24 generic channels on it.

Maybe any suggestions :

- use one of the function buttons to determine the function of the subgroup flashbuttons.

- in the first mode the flashbuttons work as usual

- in the second mode the flashbuttons are recalling a memory, no matter whitch submasterbank is selected, after releasing the submaster flashbutton everything proceeds as it was befor pressing it.

Sounds not so difficult to me .... :?

Also as mentioned in the other topics, what about realtime adjustment of the chase speed ? :(

One other question, do you think there would be a marked to release some kind of developers tool, software modules (objects) and a kind of simulation program so that someone can add it's own functionality to a standard operating system on the frog range desks??.. :idea: :?:

OK, I can understand that it is a hard thing to do, cause I am a software developper too, but suggesting the use of a mambofrog is out of the question I think, cause I own the fatfrog not yet for one year now and I need the 24 generic channels on it.

Fair enough, I was just pointing out that the SX buttons sounded fairly close to what you were asking for. The SX buttons on the Mambo Frog work in a similar manner to Submaster flash buttons anyway.

Maybe any suggestions :

- use one of the function buttons to determine the function of the subgroup flashbuttons.

- in the first mode the flashbuttons work as usual

- in the second mode the flashbuttons are recalling a memory, no matter whitch submasterbank is selected, after releasing the submaster flashbutton everything proceeds as it was before pressing it.

Sounds not so difficult to me .... :?

Is there any need to make matters more complex ? Since you can transfer any of the scene memories in the memory stack onto submasters anyway why do we need a separate mode ? Just make sure that the submaster page is on the correct page for the set of memories you want ? You may need to press the Page button, but this is no more effort that pressing a function or other button, and the added functionality that would be needed on the submaster screen etc..

The tricky bit, is as Paul explained in his post, making the desk perform the "everything proceeds as it was befor pressing it" due to the nature of how LTP processing works.

Generally speaking when you output a memory, submaster, SX button or palette or you adjust LTP parameters with the control wheels, you tell specified LTP channels to go to a particular value. You don't necessarily remember the whole list of events which may have generated the previous state of those LTP values, especially as they could have come from a variety of sources in any order.

Also as mentioned in the other topics, what about realtime adjustment of the chase speed ? :(

Live adjustment of chase speed on both the playback X and submasters have been entered into the request database and will be reviewed along with all the other feature requests - see other topics for relevant Frog Reference Nos.

One other question, do you think there would be a marked to release some kind of developers tool, software modules (objects) and a kind of simulation program so that someone can add it's own functionality to a standard operating system on the frog range desks??.. :idea: :?:

Not something that's ever likely to happen, sorry.

K-Nine : Technically Advanced Roving Dog In Space

Bran Media | Myspace