Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Sigma / Delta

minimac

• 1 month later...

Ohhhhh, Ohhhhh, We have a fleet of these (About 5 i think) connected to a Zero 88 Mercury Chaser.

Also Where can we get the replacement SCRs or is there a direct equivalent we can use as we have a few dead channels. I cannot find these SCRs anywhere in Australia.

Last but not least, is there any way to convert them into dimmers, instead of switches? One box has pinspots on it and I would love to dim them.

Hi GLX & Halo

@GLX: dimming problems with Pinspots are caused by low budget transformers. Make sure the preheat option is turned off on all chaanels assigned to the Pinspots.

@ Halo: I think it´s time to say good b(u)y to the switchpacks and Mercury!

Deal with the stuff as long as it works. Afterwards my be you start a second career as cultural manager " Historical Stage Lighting Museum of Australia". :wink:

cheers

Sven Paulsen

Klangfarbe Vienna

Unfortunately it is not possible to convert the Sigma (Switcher) into a Delta (Dimmer). Different PCB, no coils etc.

The Triac used in the Sigma/Delta is a BTA26-600B. It is still readily available from RS/Farnell/Arrow in the UK. Apparently we still have some in stock (so the stock computer tells me), so you could always contact our Service Department and order some from us.

Alternatively try http://www.rsaustralia.com

Can't do that, theres five of them, and odd trics aside, the system is very nice indeed with muti zone chasing, and accross zone chases! Its also controlling our sound annimated effects. I don't want this icluded in our DMX ststem in case the desk fails or the like. It is a back up sytem too. In that we have the DMX for the stage lighing and moving mirror/yolk equipment, and we have the older system on the mercury containing pinspots, a UFO, and 6 Sound annimated FX for backup.

This prevents the club having to close halfway through a saturday night, simply because one desk failed. I have enough on the Mercury to keep the club going (Allbeit looking like the 80's) till the fault can be fixed. 8)

I thought everyone had a backup system in place like this?

I despite that some of the bigger clubs here in germany runs a second console for backup - this could be marring to the clubs - especally the most have GrandMothers ...

I despite that a Desk such as Mambo Frog fails apart from tipping a soda over the desk...( I´ve seen this done)

I would sell the switchpacks and invest in some (nagelneue) new DMX driven dimmers... so you have your show on one desk... this culd be looking real cool 8)

Sebastian H.

Pro - Sound Showtechnik

The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.

Albert Einstein

"You can get a lot more done with a kind word and a gun"

Al Capone

• 1 month later...

I Beg to differ, you only need one of the day staff to chop a cable, a fuse to blow in the desk, A light fails and shorts the entire DMX line out. Not having a viable backup could cost the club thousands if something does happen, and they have to close the doors on a sat night because somone wan't prepared! can you spell F-I-R-E-D!?

• 4 years later...