Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Programming, excluding a channel

pscandrett

Hi

Is it possible to program (a mambo frog, but I guess it's a general question) with a channel up and yet not have that channel or submaster recorded in the programming?

To give some context - when doing a gig, it's not uncommon for me to be programming/fiddling with the desk and lights whilst soundchecks and preparations are continuing. However, often the guys on stage want some work light - but I can't at the moment leave a channel on as a worker because it gets recorded into all of my scenes/submasters/states etc! So, can I leave a dimmer channel/preset up for a bit of light on stage and continue to record other stuff without recording that channel's state?

Hmm, that's a bit long-winded. Hope that's clear :-)

Many thanks in advance

PS Thanks also for the polo shirt for the caption competition of Dec 04!

You could make a fixture (using the Fixture Type Editor PC tool) which controls the working lights channel as an LTP channel (i.e. it has to be in the Colour, Beamshape or Position groups). Then, operating the desk in Partial Mode, just make sure that fixture is not tagged when programming.

Buy them all a LED Lenser ;) Just kiddin' GLX' way is the simplest and how I also work... just manual control a channel, or use the pre-heat to get some on-stage lighting. Taking a construction light with you and plugging that in somewhere works fine too.

> 500 posts, time for a new T-shirt? ;)

Taking GLX's idea a step further, if you had Chilli Pro, Spice, Rack6 or Install6 dimmers, you could connect them all up on Chillinet, and control the manual override levels remotely with a Chilli Master Controller. Save you even having to walk to the dimmer room...

i always program a submaster with some workinglights. then when i have to press the program button, i quickly fade the submaster down, press program, and then fade it up again.

Is this often followed by the sound of all the noise boys going- turn the duck :!: :!: g lights back on you numpties and then a hour of them having a conversation under there breaths about how inferior lamp tramps are to noise boys!! Thats what would happen if I did that!! :(

Sam

Is this often followed by the sound of all the noise boys going- turn the f*** lights back on you numpties and then a hour of them having a conversation under there breaths about how inferior lamp tramps are to noise boys!! Thats what would happen if I did that!

I´ll do exactly like GLX despite the noise boys intolerant behavior I do my work like them all :)

I´ll never go to discuss totaly worklight blackout with noiseboys...

I´am the master of lights... others have to beg for light :twisted: and power ..

Last but not least they all have a flashlight with them why don´t they use it ?

Sebastian H.

Pro - Sound Showtechnik

The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.

Albert Einstein

"You can get a lot more done with a kind word and a gun"

Al Capone

If they ever got to 3, they might have to lift something

The only thing they lift unsolicitous is "groundlift"

Sebastian H.

Pro - Sound Showtechnik

The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.

Albert Einstein

"You can get a lot more done with a kind word and a gun"

Al Capone

You could make a fixture (using the Fixture Type Editor PC tool) which controls the working lights channel as an LTP channel (i.e. it has to be in the Colour, Beamshape or Position groups). Then, operating the desk in Partial Mode, just make sure that fixture is not tagged when programming.

OK, thanks - I thought (expected?) there to be a better way of doing it...!

Peter

<><