Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Chilli Dimmers

sam.henderson

Hiya All,

I have seen this post on the site by NZ and wanted some more explanation if possible!

If you want to combine architectural and DMX you should also have a look at our Chilli Range of dimmers. With the Pro versions you can have a standard architectural lighting system complete with wall panel control that is over riden when DMX is present.

So would the following scenario be possible: If say i had 4 sets of Halogen and flourescent Working lights and a series of sodium Auditorium working lights (different from house the house lights which go through the dimmer) could I have wall panels (i.e. switches) to turn these on and off but also be able to turn them on/ off from the desk via DMX.

Also would I be able to have wall panels that allow you to call up pre-programmed (saved on the dimmers not on the desk). For example General Cover for when we want to do workshops in there etc. etc. and can't be bothered to actually program anything!

Also any other interesting/ useful features on the Chilli/ Chilli Pro range??

Thanks

Sam

Hi Sam,

Yes this is possible. To control the Fluorescents/Sodiums you would want the Chilli Pro 0410HF dimmers. These have 4x 10A relay switched outputs plus 4x 0-10V analogue or DSI outputs to control fluorescents with dimmable (HF) ballasts.

The 'Wall Panels' are Chillinet control panels which fit into a standard UK backbox. Various options are available - 2,5,7,10 buttons, keyswitch, stainless steel/brass finish etc. - CLICK HERE.

Chillinet control panels call up Scenes (max 12) or Sequences (max 3) which are stored in Chilli Pro dimmers. They are connected using standard CAT5 cabling.

DMX connects direct to the dimmers, and when present, takes precedence of control over the Chillinet control panels.

Hope this answers your questions.

Paul.

edit: fixed link

The Chilli Pro 0410HF has Mains, DMX and Chillinet connections just like every other Chilli Pro dimmer. The only difference is that instead of having a single Triac output per channel, it has a relay output plus a 0-10V analogue/DSI control output per channel. A DIP switch inside the dimmer selects whether the control outputs are 0-10V analogue or DSI.

Just for information, there are 3 basic kinds of control signal for dimmable HF fluorescent ballasts. In each case you supply 230V to the ballast plus the control signal. Note that the control signal is not galvanically isolated from the 230V so mustn't be connected to a Demux or any other SELV control gear.

Analogue - 0-10V analogue control signal.

DSI - digital control signal.

DALI - newer standard for digital control - not currently supported by the Chilli Pro 0410HF.

You don't have to use the 0-10V analogue/DSI control outputs, they're just there if you need them. For Sodiums etc you'd just use the relay outputs.

Hope this helps,

Paul.

Thanks for all your help so far Paul!

So another thing say I had 2 Chilli 24s (16amps) for generics and a Chilli Pro 0410HF to control the sodiums and flories and they were all linked together via chillinet could I have on my wall panel (say 5 options) 2 memories from the 0410HF's (one for putting on all the sodiums and one for putting on all the florries) and 3 memories from the 2 24 channel dimmers (for different General Cover washes).

Is it possible to mix and match like that??

Ta,

Sam

Channels on Chilli Pro dimmers can be assigned to 'Areas'. A channel can exist in only one Area.

A Chillinet control panel can control only one Area. You can have any number of Chillinet control panels controlling the same Area.

For the situation you describe, you have 2 choices:

1. Use one Chillinet control panel, and put all channels in the same Area. Then program your memories on the Chilli Pro dimmers with various combinations of dimmed channels and sodiums/fluorescents. The panel would then simply call up these pre-set combinations.

2. Use two Chillinet control panels, and put the dimmed channels in one Area and the sodiums/fluorescents in a second Area. After programming some memories, you would then have more flexible playback options where you could mix and match scenes from the dimmed channels and scenes from the sodiums/fluorescents.

You can always try out the first option, see how you get on with it, and if you find you need more flexibility later, just add a second panel and reprogram.

You can only have one Chilli Master Controller on the network. I suspect you could connect more than that, but you're going to get yourself into a right muddle as they won't stay in sync with each other!

The number of wall panels is limited by the +12V power available from the dimmer. You can have up to 4 panels per dimmer. If you want more, you'll need to add a +12V booster supply somewhere on the network. Any old +12VDC supply will suffice.

• 4 years later...
  • 9 years later...
17 hours ago, josh white said:

Hi guys, i know this is an older thread but i'm working in a venue that currently has dali controlled house lights which they want to change to a system like the chilli pro series, is dali still not compatible?

Not in the Chilli range... The iLight range uses the same chassis and shares some of the electronics of the Chilli range but offers a better mix of control protocols to replace existing architectural controls.

The good news is - Keith Roger does some commissioning of iLight kit so he can answer some basic questions to get you started...

Ian Knight aka The Service Guy - www.serviceguy.co.uk