Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

LCD Illumination

PatrickK

Hi PatrickK,

have you already checked the Main PSU power outputs ?

they should be +5V and +12V

regards

Sebastian H.

Pro - Sound Showtechnik

The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.

Albert Einstein

"You can get a lot more done with a kind word and a gun"

Al Capone

• 1 month later...

The software limits the maximum brightness of both displays, so you don't set them too bright and burn out the backlights. However with some of the newer fixtures displays, the limit seems a bit too low.

Frog Reference 5441 - Increase the maximum permitted brightness of the fixtures LCD display - to be fixed in next software release.

Has anyone else noticed that the backlight/contrast values change every time you go into the Illumination menu by the way? This too will be fixed as part of FR5441.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got around to measuring voltages:

Measured on floppy power connector: 5.08V and 12.10 V

Measured on the two separate leads from the flatcable to the fixture lcd (pin 1 and 2): 3.758V, lead 1: negative, lead 2: positive.

Connections to the desk: power and vga only.

No desklight connected, no keyboard, no dmx etc.

I'm seeing definite dips in fixture lcd brightness during:

- desk powerup

- floppy disk access

These dips do not occur on the main lcd.

When I'm in the floppy menu, using the up and down buttons also affects fixture lcd brightness, although not as much as accessing the floppydrive.

This also appears in other menu's, when navigating the super-user menu for instance, the enter-button has the same effect on brightness.

I'm under the impression this also doesn't happen on the main lcd, but it's quite hard to see.

I was unable to measure any powerdips during these events, but that can be an equipment limitation (digital multimeter only).

[offtopic:] what's with the speaker connector on the mainboard?

And is this type of mainboard also used in the illusion desk, since there is a mouse-connector without a cutout in the chassis?

The powerdip isn't limited to the fixtures LCD, it also effects the LEDs in the fixture selection buttons. And indeed; it happens when accessing the floppy drive, our console does the same thing. I never noticed anything going wrong because of this though.

> 500 posts, time for a new T-shirt? ;)

I've had no problems with it at all, but it could be a hint to some failure about to manifest itself (eg the fixture lcd letting out it's magic smoke).

If it is a normal occurence on all the consoles, then I don't have a problem with it at all, although it is a bit strange it doesn't happen to the main lcd

It's just something I noticed a while ago, so I thought I should mention it here.

I've had no problems with it at all, but it could be a hint to some failure about to manifest itself (eg the fixture lcd letting out it's magic smoke).

If it is a normal occurence on all the consoles, then I don't have a problem with it at all, although it is a bit strange it doesn't happen to the main lcd

It's just something I noticed a while ago, so I thought I should mention it here.

I Guess the power distribution in the console is a bit dodgy, same with the "wrong" desklights ending up crashing the entire console, that's no good of course. It seems the power line to the fixtures part (which is a seperate one I guess, because the smallest Frog doesn't have that part) first powers the floppydrive, and therefore the line isn't stable. Could solved with a simple condenser I guess, but hey; as long as it's working :)

> 500 posts, time for a new T-shirt? ;)

The not-quite-so-bright fixtures LCD is due to the software being too mean on the maximum brightness that it will drive that display at. The explanation goes something like this... Early fixtures LCDs that we were supplied with were of the array-LED backlight type. More recent fixtures LCDs that we have been supplied with are of the edge-LED backlight type. The latter type requires a slightly higher drive, hence the FR, which will increase the allowable brightness of the fixtures LCD in the next software release.

The slight dimming of the display seen when the floppy motors run is quite normal and nothing to worry about. All desks have always done it. As with all motors, the floppy drive motors draw a fair amount of current when starting. I've never noticed any of the panel LEDs flicker though, I'll watch out for that one.

The speaker connector was fitted for when the same motherboard was used in the Illusion 120/240. Since we discontinued these products, the latest version of the motherboard has this connector removed.

Similar story for the Mouse connector, which is used in the Illusion 120/240 and Illusion 500. It also makes an appearance on the Frog Box, however isn't currently used there.

Edit: The issue with desk lights is covered in THIS POST.

The desk light pinout information is now in the latest issue of the Frog manuals. Have a look in the back under 'Technical Specification'.