Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Linebacker Battery

Ian_p

Would it be possible to consider adding a rechargeable battery pack to the inside of the line backer tool, as this would make this very useful as a on stage tool for focussing etc, as the only connection required would be DMX...

(Wireless DMX is probably asking too much!)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ian,

Adding a battery to the current Linebacker would not be a simple task. Firstly, the electronics design is too power hungry to give any usable amount of battery life, and secondly, there's not much room in the box!

Wireless DMX and/or a programming link to the console would be very desirable features. However adding a robust wireless link would have a significant impact on the affordability of the unit and we'd have to look at the commercial factors here.

If there are any other suggestions for features on a new linebacker then we'd be interested to hear them. We do read everything on the forums - apologies that no-one acknowledged your first post.

Paul.

Thanks Paul, I was starting to think I'd posted in a dead link!

Thanks for replies re linebacker, I wondered if the power requirements would be more than a battery could supply.

The unit is very useful, but would be more so if it could be more portable, the PSU is very bulky with an unusual plug in the unit, all things which make it awkward to move around the stage when focussing (Without trialling a power lead with a wall wart in it!). A shame the power plug isn't something more generic.

I realise products are always going to have a price / functionality trade-off, and its easy to pass comment on a product when I haven't designed one myself!

Having said that.... for linebacker 2 - a wish list.

Larger display - these are cheaper now than when this product was first launched so shouldn't affect cost too much.

Dedicated 'menu' button

Slider for setting fade levels would be nice (and fading in /out stored memories)

Battery power option

Smaller case

Wireless would be v.cool as a option. ;-)

Features are good at present, I can't think of any great issues here, perhaps more memory?

OK, I'll get me coat...