Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

USB

GLX

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Because magically your console would have a USB port all of the sudden? I think you'll have to buy it if it's ever going to be made, and what I get from K-Nine's response it'll probably be an option in new consoles, not the ones already out there.

> 500 posts, time for a new T-shirt? ;)

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It would be even beter as an retrofit. We just ordered a new FatFrog and we don't have any floppy disk's here anymore (on the aproxximatly 600 computers in the building (well maybe the servers have)). So we are getting a USB floppy drive for the audio/lighting booth computer, but it's far from ideal.

No flame intended, but damn... you people should understand it's nearly impossible to fit hardware onto a platform which isn't intended to support that kind of device. Sure, with USB this all became a lot easier because you can hookup every kind of device with a USB port on it. But the chip which makes this possible has to be put into the hardware design when that's being made. It's like trying to fit 6 seats into a normal hatchback chassis: can't be done (easily).

If you really need USB: buy another desk. If you don't have the money for that, accept the floppydrive for now.

</annoyed-IT-guy-mode>

No it doens't, at least not the first 5 times this question came up. I asked about it myself too, way back... search, find and conclude it's not gonna happen and then focus on doable requests, like software stuff.

I promise you we won't design any new desks with floppy disks in!

As to producing a retrofittable kit for existing Frogs, this depends on a number of things including technical feasibility, costs, available R&D time, and the level of demand there might be for such a kit. So yes we are interested in gauging the level of demand, but we're not going to make any commitments at the moment I'm afraid.

• 1 month later...

I deal with a lot of schools which own a frog desk. Many use out of date software. Very difficult to get them to upgrade as most computrs in schools don't have floppy drives anymore so I can't just e-mail them the software. A retrofit USB port would certainly help with this situation. If there is a poll on this question then COUNT ME IN!!!

Bob:)