Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Editing Submasters

Ian_p

Less of a 'How do I' and more of a 'Should I'?

When editing submasters, I just bring up the SM in question, add in the channel I want to add on the generic 1-48 faders, and press 'Program'.

This seems to work OK, and is very fast to program, but is not documented as the way to edit in the manual.

Can anyone see a problem with editing this way?

Cheers

Ian

Ive always done it like that, never had any problems either.

When you use the edit mode to reduce a channel, I read somewhere that you can select a channel and type in its value on the external keyboard - I can never get this to work though.

sp

The above method will work fine as long as you are only editing generic or dimmer channels (HTP channels) ... what you are actually doing is outputting the data on the sub ... adding or increasing one or more channel levels and then overwriting the submaster data with the new output levels.

To decrease a channel level in the submaster data you do need to EDIT the submaster.

If you are in partial mode and/or using colour, beamshape or position parameters on fixtures, you should really EDIT the submaster data as described in the manual. Otherwise you will need to remeber to tag all the required fixtures and attributes when you reprogram the submaster.

K-Nine : Technically Advanced Roving Dog In Space

Bran Media | Myspace

If you're editing a memory/submaster/sx, then the channel level fields on the display behave like every other numeric data entry field on the desk, and you can use the external keyboard to type in a level. All numeric data entry must be completed by pressing Enter.

What you can't do though is use the external keyboard to enter the channel number, since this is not a numeric data entry field.