Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

LCD becomes unclear

ice

More of a hardware thingy... the LCD display on our desk, just above the scrollwheels is becoming unclear. It's like the top coating is wearing off (probably by my sweaty hands combined with beer 8)). Until now it's just a small corner, but that small corner is expanding slowly, and I'm afraid I'll won't be able to see anything soon. Is there any solution for this problem?

> 500 posts, time for a new T-shirt? ;)

Nope that's not going to help... it's the top layer of that LCD that makes it clear and transparant, if that weares off the LCD becomes so unclear that it's impossible to see thru it, even at high display intensity

Sure:

FrogLCD.jpg

As you can see it's barely readable... and this picture was taken with daylight, so you can imagine what it's like in dark places I like to call theatres ;)

I thought it only appeared on the Wheel LCD, but as I just saw it's happening with the main LCD too :(

Hi ice,

Thanks for the photo.

There is a UV lacquer applied to the base material over the LCD displays to ensure that the windows are clear. It seems that the UV lacquer doesn't react well to certain cleaning fluids, coke, beer etc.

We are following three lines of investigation on this:

a ) Whether anything can be done about the lacquer/application process to lessen the likelihood of this happening.

b ) Which type of cleaning fluid should be used.

c ) If there is an easy way of repairing the lacquer.

We will keep you updated once we have further information.

Regards,

Paul.

Now you've mentioned that, I did clean the console a few months ago, so maybe the lacquer doesn't respong well to that, that could be the cause.... Since the desk is a few years old and this only happened the last few weeks. Our Fat Frog is quite new, but doesn't have these problems.. didn't clean it for that matter.

• 3 months later...

Any idea on how to fix it yet? It's becoming worse and the LCD is pretty useless right now I'm afraid. If there's some kind of coat we can use to polish it, I'd like to know which one that is :)

Don't worry, we've not forgotten about this one!

We're still chasing the people who make the panels for us to get a definitive answer on the first 2 points. I guess they're waiting for the people who make the lacquer to get back to them or something.

In the meantime, we've ordered some lacquer to conduct our own *experiments* on repairing the display window. If they're successful we'll let you know the type of lacquer.

I guess you could always cut out the display window carefully with a scalpel and stick a new piece of clear material over it, but that's not going to look great. Hopefully we can come up with something better for you.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to update you, we have received a report on the UV Lacquer problem from our suppliers. Some extracts...

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

The photographs supplied suggest that the surface (u.v cured) lacquer on the clear window has been removed either physically or chemically. Although it could be caused by chemical attack, it is more likely to be caused by physical damage from a sharp object.

The Lacquer used on all Zero88 Frog fascias is Sericol UV-383 Uvibond varnish. This is formulated to give a high degree of physical and chemical resistance although these properties can be compromised at extremes.

The polymerised lacquer film has excellent resistance to possible contaminants including water, alcohol, antifreeze, bleach, brake fluid, cosmetics, detergents, motor oil and petrol however would be effected by paint thinners or aggressive chemicals such as Xylene or Acetone (commonly used in nail varnish remover). The film has some resistance to mild alkalis but strong caustic soda will discolour/damage it.

Suffice to say, if someone has been painting the walls or painting their nails near the console then there is a potential danger.

Having said this, the photographs suggest a fairly clean removal of film, and most chemical damage does leave a stain or clouding of the plastic as well. The polymer film is very tough but could be scratched by a sharp or abrasive edge. As the film is polymerised (cross-linked) the scratch could result in further cracking of the film and bits could fall off. A watch buckle or bracelet could provide a sharp edge.

It is of course possible that there has been some inherent weakness in the film at that particular point (inclusion or air bubble that was not picked up). This could lead to a stress fracture over a period of use, but we have no previous experience of this on our products. It is also extremely unlikely the film hasn't been cured, as it would have been noticed a lot earlier.

We are reluctant to suggest changing anything at the moment unless Zero88 report further instances of this from other customers. We've made a lot of these fascias.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

So there you have it!

Paul.

• 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi all,

I too have a wheel screen that is starting to become unreadable... the lcd it's self is fine, it is the plastic protective layer making a 'frosted' effect over the screen. Can someone PM me how i can clean this up... or can this be replaced/repaired by a service at Zero88.

Keep up the great work!

(PS. out with our frog on its first festival, having a great time! 8) )

• 2 years later...

ok zero88 thanks for merging this

shame that theres still no OFFICAL REPAIR

to be honest the only thing i can think of doing is this

open the desk , cut the flim screen off and replace with a 1mm sheet of clear acrylic aplied with small amounts of silicone sealant

any sujjestions other than that???

thanks

Sam

Elliott Silk & Sam Raby

Exstage Theatre Services

www.exstagetheatreservices.co.uk

We are not going to publish an *official* repair because of the possibility of further damage to the desk or to yourself with the substances involved. We also cannot make any guarantees about the durability of a repair where we have little or no control over the process.

What we did try ourselves was to remove the remains of the existing lacquer with a solvent, then reapply and cure a new lacquer. This would be best done in a paintshop which is dust free and has the necessary fume extraction. The results weren't as good as the original finish, but it was an improvement on a non-readable display. If you do try this, then it's at your own risk. Please do read and follow all the safety advice for the substances involved.

We are not going to publish an *official* repair because of the possibility of further damage to the desk or to yourself with the substances involved. We also cannot make any guarantees about the durability of a repair where we have little or no control over the process.

What we did try ourselves was to remove the remains of the existing lacquer with a solvent, then reapply and cure a new lacquer. This would be best done in a paintshop which is dust free and has the necessary fume extraction. The results weren't as good as the original finish, but it was an improvement on a non-readable display. If you do try this, then it's at your own risk. Please do read and follow all the safety advice for the substances involved.

cure a new lacquer.....

any particular one , because i somewhat doubt a homebase jobbie is going to cover it ?

Elliott Silk & Sam Raby

Exstage Theatre Services

A very good freind of mine has given me the best and cheapest repair possible

AND IT WORKS

What you need :

1 Clean unscratched CD Case Seethrough/ Clear.

1 Stanley Knice

1 Ruler

1 Fat Frog

aobut 30 mins

step one mark and cut out from the cd case a peice 4.5cm by 8.5 cm

take the desk apart and remove the screen moddulle , be carefull not to loose the spacers

cut out the thin coated screen from the chassis of the desk and neaten up the edges

using very small peices of sticky tap , tape the peice of plastic you cut out over the hole FROM THE INSIDE!!!!

carefully re attach the screen module do not do the screws all the way up , if you do MAKE SURE YOU BACK THEM OFF HALF A TURN

attachind is a before and after shot

any questions then feel free to ask

Best of luck

PLEASE NOTE : i take no responisbility if you mess up your own desk , im simply giving you an idear

also it may be adviseable to put a thin ring of silicone selant around the edge , just incase you do happen to spill anything on it !

post-5889-1235149396_thumb.jpg

Elliott Silk & Sam Raby

Exstage Theatre Services