Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Thomann Art-Net Node, any thoughts?

Charlie Newman

I don't know about the Art-Net node but I find Thomann as a company are excellent. I have been using them for over 20 years.  Their equipment has a three year guarantee. Last year I had two led lanterns fail that I had had for two and a half years. One call to Thomann to report the problem and they sent me prepaid postage labels to send them back for repair and they were sent back to me about three weeks later. I am UK based.

Hi. For me, as @Tassal.

The particular product is a "home badged" product (you can see Thomann's name on the rear on one of the later photos). Thomann home-brand products are usually well selected. And if you're not happy you can send it back pretty easily. This is not intended to be an advert for them, but I think once you use them you'll rarely go anywhere else.

Which reminds me, I've got one of their own-name LED floods that has gone faulty. I bet I'm out of the 3 year warranty by now though... aha, it's not. You see that 3 year warranty is quite a thing...

I'm a limited ArtNet/sACN user but, as this has partly become a Thomann discussion here's my take on it.

I concur with what's been said about Thomann and some of their own-brand products. Not as pleased with Stairville as I am with Varytec for example.

The only drawback with ordering from Germany is that orders can vanish into UK customs for an indeterminate time and, with Thomann, you don't get proper tracking until they come out. Customs checks are a product of Brexit of course but place your order well before you need the gear as it might take longer than expected.

As to this particular product, I suggest you read the reviews and consider whether you might want sACN now or in the future.

(I actually use these which are dead easy to set up but, sadly, they appear to have been discontinued. Don't think they supported RDM anyway. I've got one of these as well. Only 2 universe, not RDM but just as easy to use as the 4 universe node. Might still be available although not from Thomann)

• 1 month later...

Thanks everyone for the replies, apologies I didn't check this out sooner. I don't think I'll be needing sCAN at all in this venue so seems like a pretty solid product (as well as having that three year warranty), should anyone know any better or different Art-Net nodes that they find super useful, suggestions are always welcome!