Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

A farewell message

Dear Forum Members, 

Some of you may have heard already, but to make it official, after 29 years I am leaving Zero 88 or Vari-Lite as we are now.

My last day is Thursday 28th March.

Since I started with Zero 88 way back in August 1995, as production test technician, testing both the PCB and complete units for the classics like the Sirius 24/48, Betapack Mk1, Rackmasters to name few, have seen many changes through mergers and acquisitions. I am proud to have been part of them and am looking forward to seeing what the future holds for the company.

To those of you i have met personally, sorry about that …..not 😉

Those i have spoken or exchanged post/mail with,  lucky you, got away lightly then 😉

In all seriousness, thanks to you all for the support and kind words over the years. I wish you all the best for the future, and will leave you in In Edward and Jon’s capable care.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Regards,

Keith Rogers

Zero 88 Support: support@zero88.com

Oh no! Keith that is such a shame. But we have to all thank you for your many years of tireless support and answering all of our stupid questions. 

We will remember you with the ‘KR’ stickers inside of our equipment. 

With best wishes for whatever you are moving on to. If it’s still inside the entertainments industry then maybe we’ll see you around. If not, then good escape!

Kevin

• Like 2

It was a summer refit at The College Theatre, Coventry in 1997 (possibly 1998 - I'm old!) when I'd specified Contour dimmers for our permanent dimming & when commissioning them found faults. I was a customer (at the time) of Central Theatre Supplies so complained to them - expecting to see a visit from Kirk with his magic hammer...

Instead - the message came  back that the manufacturer was sending someone to look at the units because they didn't believe they could have a fault... 

<Enter Stage Left with a Zero88 Manager - Keith Rogers>

He chided us for not fitting the Contours with enough length on the mains tails and for using a cheap rackstrip (thank you CTS - a portent perhaps?) but happily cracked on and sorted the racks with an ever present good humour & then left.

<Fast forward 13 months>

I was now the Hire/Service Manager at CTS having replaced Kirk Wood & needed help with a faulty BetaPack - "Call Zero88 & talk to Keith..." came the answer when I asked DGH how I should proceed. I did indeed speak to Keith & we soon established our common link via The College Theatre & thus began a friendship that has endured to this day.

Always keen and happy to help - an insufferable chocoholic & teetotal (as I discovered later) - good humoured (despite I suspect him putting the phone down on me after a couple of calls & cursing me 😜) and an avid interest in his customers and their problems. It has been an honour to know Keith & the news of his leaving has been truly saddening (yes - I'm privileged as a friend to know of his leaving since the New Year but was asked to keep quiet).

He is still supporting me until he leaves (and I shall continue doing what I do) and in typical Keith 'fashion' ensuring I have the means to carry on what I do - perhaps he might let me have a bit of fluff or a button off his mantle to fit on mine so that I can carry on (in small part) where he's leaving off?

I shan't say "You'll be missed Keith..." because I know you've already told me to call you if I need you - I'm looking forward to working with Jon & Edward and the other support folks at Vari-Lite as the brand moves forward.

I will say "Good Luck Keith" - we'll look back on these years with a smile I'm certain.

• Like 3

Ian Knight aka The Service Guy - www.serviceguy.co.uk

Over the years I've had the pleasure of popping to Cwmbran for various training events, a couple of factory tours and occasional casual visits when I was passing by as well as visiting trade shows; it was always good to see KWR88 about, happy to help and advise. You knew the consoles inside out but you were also personable and I enjoyed catching up with how our kids had been growing up

Many thanks for all your help over the years

Hope you and your family are well and wish you all the best in your future endeavours

• Like 2