Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Flash with LTP Values

X-Terminator

I'm working with the Mambo Frog, and have a little programming question.

I have a certain number of JB 6-ch dimmer packs connected to my mambo, each dimmer pack is programmed as a 6-channel colour scroller under 1 fixture button.

How do I flash with the submasters ? I can get them to the ON state, but when I releas the flash button (or pull the fader to zero) the effect still stay's to it's on state (the value doesn't change from 255 to 0). But when I chose another programmed submaster, the first one releases it's values. (reset to 0).

How can I solve this problem ?

Hi :)

Is there a particular reason for putting your dimmers on the desk as fixtures, and not as one normally would?

Putting your dimmers on the desk as fixtures makes very hard work of things I'd say. :? Can you not patch each dimmer channel to a preset channel on the desk, and use it as HTP?

Anyway, in answer to your description, this is to do with the fact that the LTP on the desk is designed to work 'Latest Takes Precedence,' as you describe it to work in your post.

If you do still insist on keeping the dimmers as fixtures, you could try my suggestion below.

Edit: I realise that this is not relevent to a Mambo, see my third post. :(

sp

My suggestion would be to make a simple little chase, step 1 being 'on' 255 and step 2 being 'off' 0.

Now set it to auto drive and set the speed to quite fast. Now set the 'shots' parameter to 1.

Now transfer this chase to a submaster. When the sub flash button is pressed, the LTP value will flash on and go off once after the speed you set the chase.

The disadvantage of this being that the flash will always be the same length I'm afraid - i.e. holding the submaster flash button won't make any difference to the flash length.

Well that's just one idea you could try, not perfect but all I can think of this late

sp

How are dimmers and switchpacks normally assigned on the desk ?

How to do this on my mambo?

I can't assign each channel of the dimmer to a separate Fixture button (and use the brightness to control the on/off state) because I would simply run out of buttons.

I have 9x6ch dimmers, 1x12ch dimmer and 9x4ch switchpack.

The other fixtures consists of MAC's,RoboScans, Robocolors and punishers.

I also have an 72Ch Multiplexer that changes each DMX value to a value from 0-10V

Tnx in adv.

Right now, first I'll apologise :oops:

I somehow thought you said you were using a Leap Frog.

Well the only way on a Mambo is to process the value LTP, because each fixture can only have one brightness parameter unfortunately.

This topic is along the same sort of lines, Click here.

All I can say then is my suggestion posted above, with the 1-shot chase.

The guys at Zero88 might have some suggestions on Monday.

Sorry about the confusion.

sp

NP :wink:

Well, I already thought of that solution, but since the flash-length is fixed, that's not quite a good solution.

The only way to solve this at this point is (please tell me I'm wrong), a firmware update.

Let's say the LTP trigger is at 10% that when the fader reaches 10% the command is executed as programmed, and when it goes back below 10% the execution of the command is stopped. (Same as with the flash buttons from 0-100%). Hope to get a reply soon because I'm kind of stuck with the programming. The desk ik brandnew and all needs to be programmed.

Yeah at the moment the LTP value isn't affected when you go below the trigger, only above. :(

By firmware update I presume you're making a suggestion for a future update? This sort of thing has been discussed a lot on the forums I've noticed, for example here and I think the upshot is, it's too difficult to acheive this sort of thing. The submaster faders really are designed for HTP.

May I ask, if you've only just got this desk and you had lots of dimmers to use, why did you choose this instead of, say, a Leapfrog?

I suppose the only thing would be to program all of your scenes (i.e. using the wheels and controlling the dimmers LTP to get the desired look)

and then transfer them to submasters. Then you could adjust the LTP fade time to effectively adjust the fade time for the scene - it really isn't ideal though, and doesn't solve your problem of 'flashing' your dimmers.

sp

What makes this whole thing worse is that not only the FLASH function is affected, but say, when I put a chase or a intelligent light (without brightness function) under a fader, I can't turn it off ! because the LTP snap's to it's programmed value when it reaches its level, but won't go to 0 when the fader is pulled down.

:(

Any solutions ?

The fade down isn't a problem.

But how do I get this under a submaster ?

ie: Fader open: light on, fader down: light off (same as flash button, button pushed in = on, release = off)

If every time I need a flash, or another effect that needs to be turned off, I must select the fixtures, and pull them to home position (all this in just a mather of tenth of seconds) then what's the use of the desk ? :(

I could be wrong in my way of thinking, but the way I understand the solution, it just won't do.... :(