Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Offline pallet editor

ice

Maybe a weird request, but I would like an offline editor for pallets. I'm not that much interested in the positions, but I am in colour & beamshape pallets! Because almost every fixture manual contains a specification of what the different channel values represent it would be a quick & dirty way of pre-programming your show. If you want to do the same thing now, you'd have to open the Phantom Frog, select the fixtures, use you're mouse to scroll to those values and then save the fixture. This would be a lot quicker if you could just load a show with assigned fixtures, map values to every pallet (spreadsheet style) and save it, leaving all other data intact.

I guess it's going to be covered in Frog2 with the numeric pad, but since I won't be owning one any time soon (or just not owning one) this would be a nifty little piece of software.

If you could specify the way the shows are saved I'll write one myself :D

> 500 posts, time for a new T-shirt? ;)

But why restrict this to pallets? If you could offline edit a show this would be excellent.

Actually, I think this would be a brillant upgrade to the frog series in general. I would love to create or edit a file for a frog in excel and then save it.

The speed a show could be built up would be great!

Is this saved show format a private Zero88 format, or it is possible this could be released to the public?

There are currently no plans to release the show file format.

But that wasn't my question now, was it... ;)

Just kidding... I'm getting a little bit afraid that the next software update (next year right?) is going to be not much more than some bugfixes and small features and the suggest a feature forum is going to be closed soon. Not that I don't understand all the effort going to F2, but it's still a pity.

And in the other topic K-Nine mentions that a save-file should be validated to check if it's alright. I beg to differ that. If the loading method is decent it'll complain about non-valid files and just not load those. If it doesn't that would be a MAJOR bug report, and I really mean that; that would be louzy programming all the way (not saying I'd do better though).

Ice

We will continue to support the original Frog range in the future. It will be more than simple bug fixes and we will continue to add features that we can and which are relevant. We may even have a new Frog addition in the new year to further add to the range. It would have some of the things being asked for that we can't achieve easily with the current user interface.

We sell too many Frogs not to continue supporting and developing it. Yes for the next couple of months the focus is on Frog 2 but once it is shipping we will I promise come back to the current series. Early next year means just that, not July or August.

Graham

Graham

:) Glad to hear that. Keep suprising us with that excellent support we're used to ;) I guess there hasn't been a meeting discussing whats going to be in OS X, right? I like having a list of things to wait for, but that just luxury 8)