Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

CSV Import/Export

richard

Hello,

is there a chance that a utility could be created hat would allow you to create a patch in something like an excel spreadsheet or csv file, and then convert it to a frog show file so you can load it straight into the desk. This would allow the patch to be done without the desk present, and I doubt it would be particularly complicated.

Also, any idea when the new release is coming??

• 6 months later...

Is there any chance of you releasing a simple program to convert frog show files between ASCII (USIT format) and the desk, and vice-versa. Both strand and ETC, as well as others, will do this, meaning that shows can be transported between desks with ease, you could do it to the illusion too!! It would also be a way of allowing users to edit their shows from a PC

Thanks

Richard

• 10 months later...

I have used the offlie editor, and it is a useful tool to fix the shows at lunchtime at work :D . However, it would be nice if there was another editor that didn't try to be a simulator, but presented you with more features (see above), or maybe a text dump/load feature so you could edit the data in a normal editor? (xml?) WDYT :?

The Phantom Frog isn't so much an offline editor trying to be a simulator, but the other way round :P

It was originally developed as a development tool to aid in software testing of new functions/bug fixes etc. as a means to speed to coding and testing across the range of desks :D

When Sales/Marketing saw it they decided, that with a few tweaks, it could be used as an offline editor as well, and so it was released :D

K-Nine : Technically Advanced Roving Dog In Space

Bran Media | Myspace

I am happy to write an ofline editor if you want! :lol::lol:

... including range checking every parameter that is found in the show data.. and update it every time we add a new bit of data or modify the format, range etc. that is stored in the showfile ... and ensure that the show file is valid when saving back to disk ... otherwise the desk software would have to validate the show file data when it read it. :twisted:

Bran Media | Myspace

• 3 months later...

Because of the many questions here answered with "can't be done; desk wasn't meant to do that, or desk layout doens't allow that" etc etc I wondered if it would be an idea to implement some extra stuff in the offline Phantom Frog :idea:

Features like copying pallets from one fixture to another arent too hard, and the deks doesn't have to know that data was copied from somewhere else does it? That would mean the offline desk would become more like a sepate piece of software, in stead of an emulator of the deks. And why not? Let's use the PC for what it was meant to do: manipulating data!

Feature list I would LOVE:

* copying of (single-)pallets from one fixture to another (of course same fixture types)

* possibility to print out the DMX patch (so all other stagehands know what they're doing)

and I know for sure I thought up a load more last evening when I was thinking about this, but of course... didn't write anything down :cry:

Maybe other users have ideas about this? Maybe it could even go beyond the Phantom Frog and have a shell of its own?

In the new world of offline programming Zero88 should extend Phantom Frog (and other offline programs) features; that's going to be the future!

> 500 posts, time for a new T-shirt? ;)

Depends on what it offers... when Zero88 decides to release the format of the showfiles (which I doubt they ever will?) I could write my own software doing the same thing, maybe even other users here could cook up some neat programs!

That means more functionality, but also more chances of errors (buggy software)... but we've got the beta-testers ;)

I'm sure the question of show file format and the ability to edit it offline via a PC has been covered elsewhere in these forums.

Each time new functions are added or modified to the frog software this may well have an effect on the format of the data stored in the show file.

For example - in Release 9 there was extra data for chases (n-shots), for submasters with channel data (extra times and LTP actions) and for assigned fixtures (pan/tilt reverse and swap).

You then have issues of loading old shows onto desks with later software and vice versa - the desk s/w either has to ignore additional data it does not expect or understand, or has to fill in default values for data not present in older show files.

If you have the ability to edit show files on a PC, then the software on the PC also needs to perform some sort of validation on the updated file to ensure that it is in a valid format, otherwise who knows what may happen when it is reloaded onto the desk.

I'm not suggesting that we won't add additional functionality to the Phantom Frog in the future, or that users out there are not capable of writing useful PC utilities for interrogating/analysing/modifying show files (if we were to publish the show file format) ... I'm just trying to point out some of the potential issues that may arise.

Bran Media | Myspace

Jup those are true issues, and have to be thought of indeed... but maybe Zero could make somewhat of a framework which validates the correctness of showfiles (by given algorithms) in which users can write there own C (or what language are u guys using???) code for manipulation... Some kind of module-based piece of software? Just making some ideas here :)

• 9 months later...

Hi,

I think it was suggested several times yet but as I do many different shows with our Frog, I need a better way to "correct" the cuelist

a export/import to Excel will be perfect for this...

(Sorry - but´s a pain to step thru the memories and pressing F2 and naming it etc. etc.)

Best regards

Sebastian

Sebastian H.

Pro - Sound Showtechnik

The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.

Albert Einstein

"You can get a lot more done with a kind word and a gun"

Al Capone

I still think the format of the save-files should be released. That way we could write our own software for these things.

Okay, you've got the problem that some folks might mess up the save-files and end up crashing the console; but I suppose the console does a check on the validity of the file during the load process. If you saved wrong it won't load, bummer but that's your own fault then.

• 9 months later...

is it possible to somehow convert a show that was programmed on an other desk (no zero88) and then exported to a ascii showfile into zero88 frog-readable showfile?

my suggestion is to support ascii showfile (which must be a standard, at least that's what it looks to me), so i can easily achive cross-desk-compatability.

cheers

• 2 years later...

1. I can't see the result's off my work.

2. i want to programm it with scripts like following

newStep()=$Step1;

$Step1
{
setValue.Fixture[1].Color=255;
setChannelTo(23)=255;
}

something like that.

so i can do more with copy 'n paste

or only a console to get a directly access to the values.

This isn't something we offer at the moment, and I think it unlikely we would in the future - mainly due to the support issues it would cause with people creating invalid syntaxes, etc.

If you're looking for a 'DIY' solution, why not take a look at Light Factory, which is based around an SQL database engine. You can create your own scripts to access the software via Telnet or directly to the SQL database as required. Light Factory is available in Europe through Zero 88 - if you need any more information, please don't hesitate to let me know.

Peter

Peter Kirkup