Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Comments and Reviews of Frog 2

Haytech

Hi Ice

How many faders do you think The Wholehog III console has?

Only 10!!!!

And if you see what kind of shows this 'little' desk does you must understand that there is a way of programming where you don't need all those faders.

Just wait for a demo and you will be suprised!

Den Pipo

Pro Light Design

It's not necessarily the number of faders on a desk, but what you can actually do with them 8O

The design and philosophy of the Frog 2 desk IS different to that in the Frog series.

We have tried to make the front panel more 'flexible' (functionally, not mechanically :P ) to allow the user to configure it in a manner that suits him best for the type and style of show he wishes to run on it.

K-Nine : Technically Advanced Roving Dog In Space

Bran Media | Myspace

Hi Richard

You can use external touch screen monitors. We will be offering an upgrade kit to build them into the console.

Ice, I am sure you will be able to get the effects that you will require without motorised faders. As with buttons with text in them we could put motorised faders on the desk but we are trying to keep the price at a level that will attract users. All the consoles that have motorised faders are at least twice the price of the Frog 2.

You may need to think slightly differently but I am confident that you will be able to busk a show easily on this desk.

Graham

I'm 'afraid' that the frog 2 will be more of a pre-programmed show desk than a live table, meaning users wil have less means of controlling the show directly.

External touchscreens, hmm :) i've got a few 12.1" touchscreens here :) (€ 169,--, run at 800*600 or 1024*768)

Has the implementation in Phantom Frog started?

I'm 'afraid' that the frog 2 will be more of a pre-programmed show desk than a live table, meaning users wil have less means of controlling the show directly.

I'm sure Graham (NZ) will have something to say about that :P

External touchscreens, hmm :) i've got a few 12.1" touchscreens here :) (€ 169,--, run at 800*600 or 1024*768)

Don't know much about this future update yet - so can't comment :)

Has the implementation in Phantom Frog started?

No - If we develop a Phantom Frog 2 it will be a completely new piece of software not simply an extra option in the current Phantom Frog. This is because the Frog 2 software is not the same as the Frog Series software which is used in the frog series of desks and Phantom Frog.

Bran Media | Myspace

how many fixtures can the frog 2 control?

As many as will fit into 4 DMX universes (2048 channels) :D

Unlike the frog series of desks, where the number of fixtures is limited by the number of fixture selection buttons (ie fat frog = 12, leap frog = 24, bull frog = 24), the number of fixtures which can be controlled on the Frog 2 is only restricted by the total number of control channels (2048).

For example - if your scanners/moving heads required 16 channels each you could control up to 128 of them :D

Bran Media | Myspace

Hi Ice

How many faders do you think The Wholehog III console has?

Only 10!!!!

And if you see what kind of shows this 'little' desk does you must understand that there is a way of programming where you don't need all those faders.

Just wait for a demo and you will be suprised!

Sorry Pipo, but that's total bullshit! You know as well as me the Hog 2/3 has its wings, and it's not a kind of desk you'd use to do lighting for your top40 coverband this friday. Ever seen a Hog 1000 or Hog 2000? I rest my case...

With my postings here I dont intend to flame anyone; I'm just wondering the things I'm asking, nothing wrong with that, right? It's not critisism, just noticing the way you guys are developing the new console and I think I would have made other choises being a Lighting tech & software developer myself.

To erikje: dat zou goed kunnen ja.

> 500 posts, time for a new T-shirt? ;)

Regarding the whole lack of playbacks issue that has been raised, I would say that this is showing a lack of understanding how how such a desk is used. You can run a full show on a desk with only 10 faders, you just have to set the desk up differently. The hog II is often used for large shows without the expansion wing, as big shows don't tend to use the flash buttons that often.

One thing that would be nice with the desk would be the ability to use a DMX input to trigger 'virtual' playbacks or just channels. This would mean that you could plug in a simple desk with loads of faders (such as the frog) and use it to trigger all of the generic channels and groups of generic channels. This is possible with desks such as the Hog and is a nice way to do this without having to buy an expensive playback wing!

Regarding the whole lack of playbacks issue that has been raised, I would say that this is showing a lack of understanding how how such a desk is used. You can run a full show on a desk with only 10 faders, you just have to set the desk up differently. The hog II is often used for large shows without the expansion wing, as big shows don't tend to use the flash buttons that often.

Well put Richard, that's the point I was trying to convey in my earlier posts :)

One thing that would be nice with the desk would be the ability to use a DMX input to trigger 'virtual' playbacks or just channels. This would mean that you could plug in a simple desk with loads of faders (such as the frog) and use it to trigger all of the generic channels and groups of generic channels. This is possible with desks such as the Hog and is a nice way to do this without having to buy an expensive playback wing!

The Frog 2 desk will have DMX Input capabilities, but we have not yet specified exactly what functionality this will provide. Your suggestion will be noted :D

Bran Media | Myspace

Ok that's exactly what I too think of the console; but bigger shows and more lighting stuff requires more programming work, and more thinking-in-advance. Running the show would be pressing throug pre-defined programs; and that's not what I consider to be a live kind of operating (some opinion differ on this, I know).

DMX-In would definitely solve some things, it would be neat hooking up the leap for conventionals, and using the 2 for the intelligent lighting. Combining the best of both consoles!

> 500 posts, time for a new T-shirt? ;)