Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

for macs, why is the shutter grouped with the beamshape??

thearches

i am using mac 250 kryptons with the fat frog desk.most of the usage of this kit is 'busking'. now because the beamshape encompasses gobo, gobo rot,prism, focus and shutter, this means that if i want to program a shutter chase to use live as a pallette, then i have to take into account all these attributes. i.e. i have to program a shutter chase for every gobo, every rotational speed, etc. wouldnt it be easier to put the shutter in with the dimmer/intensity, as generally most heads/moving mirror fixtures have two plates, either controlled by the dimmer or shutter?

awfully frustrating! :?

if the shutter was controlled in the BRIGHTNESS part then you would not be able to assign a pallette to it as you can only use palletes when working with colour beamshape and position.

Just a thought

Sam

@thearches

Hi, basically "shutter" is a beamshape parameter ...

and it is processed as a LTP "latest takes presence" value

first to avoid misconception please say us what you want to do.

@GLX

little confused here: shutter isn´t the brightness and won´t be recorded when fixtures are de-tagged.

You can always have a "dimmer" chase by detegging all your fixtures, but you can´t record any other value then brightness/dimmer

regards

Sebastian H.

Pro - Sound Showtechnik

The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.

Albert Einstein

"You can get a lot more done with a kind word and a gun"

Al Capone

Ok I always use the last method Haytech mentioned: detagging and recording the brightness values, that works excellent.

So if you program such chases, and use the built-in shutter functions, is there any use left for shutter-chases from the Beamshape menu?

> 500 posts, time for a new T-shirt? ;)

is there any use left for shutter-chases from the Beamshape menu?

I don´t think so ice, until you don´t want to have a strobe chaser :lol:

It is possible to create a shutter chaser without saving other LTP values by holding the beamshape button and then press the program button.

Sebastian H.

Pro - Sound Showtechnik

The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.

Albert Einstein

"You can get a lot more done with a kind word and a gun"

Al Capone

is there any use left for shutter-chases from the Beamshape menu?

I don´t think so ice, until you don´t want to have a strobe chaser :lol:

It is possible to create a shutter chaser without saving other LTP values by holding the beamshape button and then press the program button.

Yeah I use those, but I "turn off" fixtures by killing the brightness... oh well, the results will be the same I guess.

> 500 posts, time for a new T-shirt? ;)

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

To me the difference between a shutter chase and a dimmer chase is purely the effect although this can differ with some fixtures. Dimmer chases are nice because you can vary the amount of xfade between lamps and mixing this with a shape can give some very nice effects and I have even found that with with some fixtures (MAC 250s) for one, with the right focus and conditions you can simulate an iris chase effect. However if you want a fast harsh accent for a metal track or dance, the shutter chase is the way to go. I've noticed that MACs, Robes and GLP Ypocs and probably any fixtures that have preprogrammed dimmer curves have a perceptible fade up and down like a halogen lamp even at fast chase speeds if you use a dimmer chase, so you really need to use the shutter to get that hard strobe on / off effect.

What are the chances of a "dimmer chase" generator for the Frogs? Just a thought!