Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Jester48MI all buttons suddenly not working

Hi Everyone,

I recently bought a second handed Jester48MI.

After programming the submasters, I used it for about a month always in run mode until, all of a sudden, the buttons below the faders stopped working all together.

Do someone knows if there's something i might accidentally have done ? 

Thanks in advance for your attention and support.

Marco

Marco I'm sure it will be something simple - but might be a ribbon cable come loose inside the desk. I expect it will be readily fixable, so don't worry.

I can't find a Service Manual - there will be a test mode that can be enabled from boot that will allow testing of all buttons and faders.

Hopefully Keith @KWR88 will be along shortly to help you diagnose the issue.

Looks like there is a Test Mode within Setup (SHIFT+MODE):

Setup Mode JesterML Operating Manual
73-406-00 Issue 3.0 59 of 85

Test Mode
This option is provided primarily for factory and dealer servicing only. It allows the hardware of the JesterML to be tested in isolation from setup options or programming in the show data, which can be useful in diagnosing some problems.

• Pressing a button will display it‟s name on the Main LCD, optionally toggle nearby LEDs, and optionally display the level of a nearby fader.
  • The 7-segment displays will show a count pattern
  • Wheel levels will be displayed on the wheel LCD.
  • The DMX Input and Output ports will be tested (this test may fail if a DMX-Input source is present).
  • Shaded colour bar patterns are displayed on the monitor output.
  • MIDI test messages are transmitted if MIDI is enabled.

Press ENTER to leave test mode and return to the Setup menu.

Manual:

https://www.vari-lite.com/b-dam/vari-lite/discontinued-products/jester/english/jesterml-manual-3-0.pdf

See also this thread:

40 minutes ago, kgallen said:

Marco I'm sure it will be something simple - but might be a ribbon cable come loose inside the desk. I expect it will be readily fixable, so don't worry.

I can't find a Service Manual - there will be a test mode that can be enabled from boot that will allow testing of all buttons and faders.

Hopefully Keith @KWR88 will be along shortly to help you diagnose the issue.

If there's a cable loose then the faders won't work either - Test mode from 'Setup' will help diagnose whether buttons or faders are affected. However, the fader panel design on these desks is very similar to the Frog/Leapfrog range and everything is multiplexed down the one ribbon cable so it's unusual for just the buttons to stop working.

This isn't a fault I've come across before so it may well need to be on the workbench of a service agent who can diagnose the fader board itself - it might be something simple like the 5v rail has failed but I would expect to see more of the desk not working.

I have some 'Brand new old stock' of the fader panels in stock so if something major has happened - I can supply a replacement panel BUT I am in the UK and I suspect @Marco Benatti may not be? If you're in the UK - I am happy to take your desk for repair - I offer a basic inspection fee - so depending on how much you spent on the desk, that might be a quick way of deciding what next to do.

My website is in my signature below, there's a couple of pages there with contact forms to reach me.

Ian Knight aka The Service Guy - www.serviceguy.co.uk