Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

DMX KONFUSHIN

jethromcmullan

Hi, I have an ETC smartpack dimmer that will not work with any DMX source save a Zero88 leapFrog. :? I have confirmed that the cabling and pin config is correct, and that the other sources are sending DMX data.

I know this is actually ETC's problem, but they are as confounded by the problem as me, and being aware of the outstanding support offered by you chaps, I thought I would see if you have ever encountered a fault of this nature. :wink:

I would greatly appreciate any help you can offer, and have every confidence that you will be able to solve my problem in a matter of a handfull of emails.

:twisted:

Cheers,

Jethro

Strange fault never had this type of fault reported before.

Could you list a few of the other desks that you have tried as this may help.

I can't think of anything obvious other than a cable problem which you have already said that you have checked out.

It may be worth if you have not done so already to try a terminator on the DMX line.

Is there anything after the dimmers on the line, if yes have you tried removing them?

The only other thing that I can think of is to use a DMX tool and actually look at the time parameters that are comming out of the other desks and compaire it to ours.

Regards,

Keith Rogers

keith.rogers@signify.com

DD: +44 (0) 1633 833 101.

Hi

I actually haven´t get the clue in here....

@Jethro

You have got a LeapFrog that works fine with your dimmerpack, but other desk´s don´t ? - That sound´s wierd maybe it is a problem with the DMX start address. as the other possibilities are worked out.

best regards

Sebastian H.

Pro - Sound Showtechnik

The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.

Albert Einstein

"You can get a lot more done with a kind word and a gun"

Al Capone

Have tried a Strand MX24, Zero88 leapfrog and Swisson DMX test tool (which I thought was infallable).

I see no point in trying a million other desks, as these 3 illustrate the fault.

I have tried with termination plugs and without.

Have tried with the different components at different places in the DMX line, and with different components in and out of the line.

Have had our Hire technitians who use this equipment on a daily basis look at it and try everything thay can, and they are just as baffled.

What you say about measuring the time perameters may be worth trying, could you say some more about this, what exactlyy does that mean, what might I find, and what would my findings show?

Thanx for your help so far, you guys offer the best support I have known.

I really appreciate it, as this is not even your product we are discussing....

Cheers,

Jethro

@Jethro:

Try a DMX ''phasechanger' - sometimes DMX cabling + / - is changed over in devices. maybe this helps:

DMX LINE on 3PIN XLR:

1=GND => GND

2=SIG- => SIG+

3=SIG+ => SIG-

this problem is also known as Martinsyndrome :lol:

Sebastian H.

Pro - Sound Showtechnik

The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.

Albert Einstein

"You can get a lot more done with a kind word and a gun"

Al Capone