Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Frog Screen to various Frog Desks

GLX

To connect the Frog Screen to a desk, you need the SMPTE/MIDI/CAN board fitted in the desk.

This board is fitted as standard in the Frog Box, and is available as an upgrade for the Leapfrog, Bullfrog and Mambo Frog. It is NOT available for Frog and Fat Frog.

There is also the issue of compatibility with the STMain board in the desks.

As leap frogs, mambo frogs and bull frogs were added to the series later, they all have the same compatible STMain board.

Some frogs/fat frogs may have earlier versions of this board, which would not be compatible with the upgrade kit.

K-Nine : Technically Advanced Roving Dog In Space

Bran Media | Myspace

• 5 months later...

I've read over the specs, desription, manual, and announcement, but i just wanted to get something clear. I work on a Bull Frog, but no Frog Box. But in a previous reply it was said that a smpte/midi/can upgrade kit could be used to connect the Frog Screen to a Leap Frog. I've learned not to assume, so, does that apply to the Bull Frog as well? And if so could you possibly link me to info on the upgrade kit.

Basically, I am looking for a remote, so as to access the Desk from our catwalks, and as much as the Frog Box sounds like it would be great for our theater productions, the remote is more of a priority due to limited staffing during some performances.

Thanks in advance.

Yes you can fit the SMPTE/MIDI/CAN upgrade kit into a Bullfrog, provided it has the updated metal base tray with the extra mounting features for the kit. The update happened around October 2003. If your desk has a few extra holes on the back covered over with a metal blanking plate (not to be confused with the extra DMX sockets with plastic bungs in), then it's OK. However if your metal base tray is the older type, you'll need a new metal base tray together with some longer internal cables in order to accept the upgrade PCB. Contact our friendly service bloke Keith to discuss your options if this is the case.

The part number and latest pricing for the upgrade kit can be found in the price lists on our main website:

Edit: Updated link for new website.