Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Fat Frog - Preset Operation etc.

compynei

Preset Operation on the Fat Frog

Two Preset Mode - Two 24 channel presets controlling 24 desk channels. Uses two sets of preset faders (A and B) - manual or timed fades.

Wide Mode - One 48 channel preset controlling 48 desk channels. Crossfade between two 'scenes' manually or timed (one scene on the preset faders and a stored scene).

Each generic channel on the Fat Frog may be patched up to 10 different DMX addresses.

K-Nine : Technically Advanced Roving Dog In Space

Bran Media | Myspace

If by 'simplest operation' you are referring to using the two sets of presets to crossfade between 'scenes', then Yes.

The crossfade control determines the fade time - this can be set to manual (ie the fade is controlled by physical A and B master faders) or to a time between 1 second and 5 minutes.

If you have programmed memories and play them back using playback X, then you can program the fade times into each memory, as required.

If you want most of your crossfades between memories to be the same time (eg 3 seconds), then set up the default fade times as you wish in Desk Setup before programming the memories. That way you only need to edit the times for those memories that are different 8)

Bran Media | Myspace

The Fat Frog is sooo much easier than a sirius (I have used both heavily).

This is mainly because it has a monitor which allows you to see lots of information and break away from the siruses tiny LCD's.

I really recomend this desk to you- its a cracker, you will find your techs going from what would take you 6 hours on a sirius to 2/3 hours on a frog!!

Sam

I'd go along with Sam and recommend that you have a monitor connected when using any of the Frog desks.

You can get so much more information on a monitor screen than the main LCD and you can lock it to a particular screen if you want while you use the main LCD for other operations.

I can't imagine using a Frog without one now 8O

Bran Media | Myspace

All Frogs have been shipping with the monitor output fitted since the middle of 2001. Sounds like they have one of the very early desks.

If they want to upgrade the desk, there are a few options we offer:

0073700 Frog/Fat Frog Monitor Upgrade Kit

0074000 Frog Monitor Upgrade Kit/ST2

0074100 Fat Frog Monitor Upgrade Kit/ST2

Contact one of our friendly sales folk for prices...

We have one of the very early desks, A sirius 48 CLICK HERE for the manual.

After it has broken it is not really ecomomical to repair considering its age and cost of repair, so we are taking the chance to upgrade to a Fat Frog for the Main Stage of our amatuer theatre, and purchasing a Frog for the Studio theatre (which doesn't require the extra capabilites).

I know the Fat Frog has a Keyboard input, does the Frog also?

Someone said about a mouse but I'm pretty sure that it does not take one?

Thanks

Neil

Neil

The FROG series (Frog, Fat Frog, Leap Frog and Bull Frog) all work with the same layout, the same capabilities (apart from the ammount of fixtures and channels), Same software and same outputs etc. etc. The Mambo Frog is different as it has SX's. So to directly answer your question yes the Frog does have a keyboard input.

As for a Mouse, No none of the FROG series has this capability, you navigate around using the + - < > buttons and if a keyboard is plugged in using the arrow keys. You an also jump to memories by entering the memory number and then pressing enter or the return key. In many ways this makes it easier not having a mouse, but maybe that is just personal preference. I believe, if I am correct the Illusion has a option for a mouse!

I would highly recomend the Frog and Fat Frog to you, not only are they great desks with easy functionality but I think it would be a great idea to have a Frog for the studio and a Fat Frog for the Main Theatre. This way you wouldn't have to train your inhouse techs to use 2 different desks. You would teach them the Fat Frog and then they would feel at home right away with a Frog.

Sam

Excellent, Thanks Sam!

Keyboards are much easier, especially in the interface the frog seems to use (DOS Based?).

That is the reason we went for the same series.

And programming (when using the Phantom Frog) seems so much easier, however I can't seem to figure how to programme a chase at all, nevermind into the memory!

Guess it will all come to me when I get the Frogs, placing the order tomorrow so should be good!

Thanks for all your help!

I'll stick around as you lot look like a useful bunch!

Neil

On the Frog desks, a chase is a different type of memory consisting of a number of steps and a set of modifiers which determine how the chase runs.

A chase can be a memory in the memory stack and played back on the playback X, or a chase memory can be transferred onto a submaster and run using the submaster fader.

If you have a fat frog and intend running different types of chase, eg brightness, colour, position using different fixtures (moving lights) I would recommend that you use the desk in partial mode as this allows you to run more chases simultaneously :D

See the operating manual page 4-8 for further details.

Latest Frog Series Manuals CLICK HERE

Moderation - Topic title changed to be more en-light-ening :lol:

Bran Media | Myspace

In short to program a chase hold down the memory type button. IF a monitor is attached then a blue box will appear, if not then you will get similar options on the LCD.

Set up the first step of the chase and then press the PROGRAM button. It will automatically move on to the next step, again set up and press PROGRAM. When you are finished you can set the options like colour/ beamshape and position snap or fade. Once this is done you can set the modifiers (like drive, speed, direction) using the buttons below the mem type button. When you are done press FINISH.

If you have the latest version of software you will be able to set n-shots and change the speed live. N-Shots allow the chase to run a certain amount of times which can be very useful. In addition the desks can take an audio feed which when drive is set to bass allows the case to run with the audio feed.

For more info definitely read the manual. It may seem daunting at first but you will pick up loads of shortcuts that you won't work out if you just played with the desk to learn about it!

Sam

Just a few last points - can't wait to get it and I will read the manual.

What exactly do the submasters do? And I notice the Fat Frog can take 12 moving lights, can the Frog take any?

Not really important ATM as we have none - but when we get them (probably be used on the Main Stage) but if we used them in the Studio? I take it that it is possible to use them but in a different way?

Thanks

Neil

The Frog desk is designed primarily for use with simple generic lighting via dimmers.

It is possible to control moving lights with a Frog but it is much more difficult as you have to use each fader to control a separate channel of the fixture, and all the channels are processed HTP rather than LTP. Also the fixtures will use up the 48 channels rather quickly :(

If you want to control and program moving lights (scanners, moving heads etc.) simply and effectively and have all the additional features that go with that (partial memories, palettes, movement effects engine etc.) - I would strongly recommend the Fat Frog. The Fat Frog can control up to 12 moving fixtures in addition to the 48 generic channels.

As to submasters - They are just another way of programming channel and/or fixture data and playing it back. They offer additional flexibility as they can be combined to produce a large number of different 'looks'.

They are often used in the 'live' environment or when the operator wants to busk the show rather than stepping through a pre-programmed stack of memories (cues).

It is probably best to read the manual first to get the full story and then ask if you have any further questions, which you probably will :lol:

Bran Media | Myspace