Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Times appearing on Submasters

Yves

when I turn on my desk (mambo frog / software 9.0) and want to play the progs that are there from a previous show, it takes about 1sec for the subs to reach 100%.

when I then make a new program it works fine but the progs that are still in there still have the same problem.

What version of software was the show originally created with?

Release 9.0 added the 'fade times on submasters' function. It might be that if you load a show created on a previous version of software, which didn't have this feature, that the submaster fade times pick up some odd values.

Check the submaster fade times, and set them to zero if you want the fader to respond instantly.

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

Had a bit of a strange one yesterday when I booted up the desk, all the submasters (which I had transferred the memories to with "Transfer with no time") had all suddenly got the default 3 second fade up/down times and even the ones I transfered with times had also reverted to the default times. I have been running this particular show over the last 3 - 4 weeks, all programmed on OS 9.6 and no problems till now. I reloaded the memories to subs with the relevent times and no times and it worked fine ( although I lost all my submaster names. Is that normal?) I'll boot up the desk a bit later to see if it has done it again, (didnt get to bed till 6.00am this morning.) Has any one else experienced this? Any Ideas?

I will set up a fat frog here and transfer a set of memories with time onto a page of submasters, and without time onto another page. I will power down the desk and then power it up after a period of time, and see if the problem can be reproduced.

As to the overwriting of the names - did you name the submasters independently after transferring the memories ?

If you re-transfer the memories onto the subs then the names will be overwritten as you are effectively overwriting the whole submaster.

If you name the memories before transferring them, the name should also be transferred to the submaster.

K-Nine : Technically Advanced Roving Dog In Space

Bran Media | Myspace

Pretty much except that the subs were running the full 3 second up down times and all the Fade Up / Fade Down fields on the LCD and monitor had changed from 00.00.0----00.00.0 To 00.03.0-------00.03.0 for the subs that had been transferred with "Transfer with No Time" and any subs that had modified times ie, UP 00.10.0- Down 00.04 reverted to 00.03.0.

As I said I have run this show about ten times over the the last 3/4 weeks with no problems. It is the original show, that is I havent reloaded it from disk and the desk has not been used for anything else. The only mods are position palettes for different venues.

I will set up a fat frog here and transfer a set of memories with time onto a page of submasters, and without time onto another page. I will power down the desk and then power it up after a period of time, and see if the problem can be reproduced.

I powered up the desk this morning - the page of submasters which had memories transferred without time now have times which appear to be the times of the memories (not the submaster default times).

I have tried another couple of tests this morning and it would appear that the problem lies when reloading the show from flash, and does not always appear simply by power cycling the desk.

I have passed this information on to our software guy for further investigation.

Frog Reference No 5489 - Times appear on submasters after restarting the desk - Bug to be investigated and fixed

Bran Media | Myspace

I 've had the same problem a few weeks ago twice. After that I had no problems again until last week. Again all submasters had the default fade up/down time and I had to reload all tje memories to the submasters. I was just to post this problem by myself, but it seems that some of you guys where ahead of me. :(

I'm not sure, but I think the problem occurs when you reboot the desk after it has saved the memory to flash. 8O

.. Again all submasters had the default fade up/down time ..

Are you sure the times were the default SUBMASTER fade times or are they the fade times of the transferred memories, which if they haven't been modified would also be 3 seconds ?

During testing yesterday I deliberately changed the submaster defaults and modified the times of the memories prior to transferring them. When the desk was powered back up, it was definitely the memory fade times that were appearing on the submasters, which previously had zero times.

... I'm not sure, but I think the problem occurs when you reboot the desk after it has saved the memory to flash. 8O

This is the conclusion I came to as well. If you transfer memories without time, and simply power cycle the desk, the corect times come up. However, if you modify something in the Desk Setup and save it, this I believe causes the show to be saved to flash memory. Then if you power cycle the desk, the times on the subs appear to change.

Bran Media | Myspace

Hi,

About the default times appearing being memory times as opposed to sub times you are most likely right. As for changing the desk setup I presume you mean entering Superuser altering something and then saving changes when exiting Superuser. The thing is I loaded OS 9.6 ( which I had trouble with, see earlier posting " OS wont upgrade") entered superuser setup all the desk defalts and stuff, assigned the fixtures, saved changes and exited superuser. The desk went out on this current show the very next day, I programmed it and opped it myself and as I said the only mods since are to the position palettes to suit different venues.I have made no changes to the desk setup since. Dose altering the Position palettes cause the desk to save the show to flash memory? But the fact that I have altered them about ten times but only experienced this problem once is odd. Is it possibly something else or dose the desk automaticaly save to flash after a certain amount of power cycles?

I have consulted with our software guru and his response was as follows:

When programming or editing memories, submasters, palettes etc. the changes are saved to the nvr (non volatile RAM), then when that gets full, the full show is written to the flash memory, and the nvr is cleared. On power-up, the desk loads the show from flash and then applies the changes stored in the nvr.

So it would appear if the changes to the submaster data are retrieved from the NVR, then the times are OK, but if the data is retrieved from the flash, the default times appear.

Changing and saving the Desk Setup forces the desk to save the show to flash and clear the NVR.

If you don't change the desk setup, the desk will only save the data to flash when the NVR gets full.

Bran Media | Myspace

• 1 month later...

Loading the show from floppy disk will probably display the same problem as it is very similar to loading the show from flash - see earlier posts. This problem will be investigated.

I hope you meant 3 seconds for the fade times, not 3 minutes as that would really be annoying 8O

Note - This problem only appears to affect the submasters with transferred memories. The times on submasters which have been recorded directly with channel/fixture data appear to reload correctly.

Bran Media | Myspace

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hello Froggers

When I programmed some chases and tranferred them to submasters no time and i want to load it again on a different location all the memories on the submasters are working with time I don't know what I do wrong If someone can help me please

Thanks in advance