Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Solution - Solution XL VS FLX - FLX S 48

13 hours ago, van den abbeele Eric said:

1 /
Being in a theater scene configuration.
I will be with designers on the ground, 4 to 6 PAR LEDs on each side.

Designers at the height of man (Lateraux) between 8 to 12 PAR LED on each side behind the scenes.

Then on the harrows:
24 to 36 PAR LED
Some automatics (5 to 10 lyres)

The face with some PCs (Dimmers)

I'm going to do groups by families and places on stage ... But to be able to access several projectors, is there a quick way to get there? Example on 5 projector on the floor I want to select 1, 3 and 5 on one side and 2 and 4 on the other?

You can create groups that do this. You can also "Create Auto Groups" which will automatically create some groups. You'll get an "All", "Odds", "Evens", "First Half" and "Second Half" group for each type of fixture you have patched.

2 /
If I understand the side of the fader I can either have playback, or have control on some projectors ... So if I have 24 fader wings and more, I can on the FLX have for example the playbacks and on the wings outside access to the porjectors for their controls?

Exactly, yes.

3 /
Can I on the 24 faders decide which fader controls which channel or fixture of a projector?

When set to "Channels", each fader controls the intensity of the fixture assigned to the respective channel number. You can choose the Channel Number in the "Add Fixtures" screen, or change it in the "Fixture Schedule" screen - both of these are within SETUP. The Channel Number is also the number you use when controlling fixtures using syntax. So if a Moving Light is Channel 20, you could turn it on either by raising Fader 20 to the top, or by typing "20 @ 100 ENTER" (or the shortcut "20 @@")

4 /
If I am in Theater mode and playback with the double button, can I always have faders between playback and chanels / fixture?

Each set of 24 faders can be set as "Channels" or "Playbacks" at any time - this doesn't affect the "Master Playback"

5 /
I can add 5 Wings Fader giving a total of 144 faders ...?

Yes, you can add up to 6 ZerOS Wings (via a powered USB hub) giving you 168 faders.

image.jpeg

6 /
Do you have FLX users in France ... Towards the Great East ... (Metz, Strasbourg, Thionville, Nancy?

Yes - it's probably best to discuss with our French distributor who they've sold FLX to

7 /
to patch in DMX the FLX with projectors and dimmers, is there a particular order?

No, whatever order you wish.

8 /
DMX patch in one of the places where I go they have about 350 dimmers. But all according to the shows are not used. Then I leave free DMX numbers (unused dimmer ...)

That's absolutely fine.

9 /
On the side of connected projectors is there a maximum? (in the limit of 2 DMX universes and 2 Art Net universes)
Because as mentioned above I can have several tens of projectors on a scene ... And I must be able to find me easily ...

FLX, as standard, has 4 Universes. That's 2048 DMX channels. There are no other limitations within that. You can also upgrade FLX up to 8 Universes (up to 4096 channels). ALL of these universes can be output on Art-Net or sACN. Two of those Universes can be output directly on DMX (that might be Universes 1 & 2, or it might be Universes 2 & 4, or it might be that you set them both to Universe 1).

Jon Hole
Global Product Manager, Systems and Control

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello,

Thank you very much for the answers. It s great to have a reel help ! (I think that I like your way of life... when we see you in the car for the launch "We feel a t-shirt 30km into space, launched by FLX S" it's really top!)

1 /
Question about the wings ... You talk about HUB powered ... A powered hub is needed from how many wings?
Because there if I find an interesting price I will order a FLX + 1 wings. Do I have to predict a HUB?

2 /
Side keyboard computer we have in France not the "QWERTY" but "AZERTY" ... Compatible with the FLX? Should it feed the keyboard on the HUB powered?

3 /
For now DMX, I think I will not exceed 600 to 700 DMX channels. That means that for the FLX console capable of managing up to 4000 channels, I should not be at the maximum of resources ...

4 / I think immediately buy a touch screen.

5 / VIDEO 1
I think that at the level of use you should consider a video installation. This is the first demarage of the FLX for someone who will discover this new universe.
So the alumer, connect the DMX and make the manipulations that go to the patch until the projector turns on ... Then go towards the direction of a first cue.
Because in general when we discover a product for the first time, it is always wanting to miss no step and always when we want to turn on the first projector, and although it does not work ... Return to the manual, realize that like any record, it still lacks information and that we find ourselves stuck ...
And a video is often more meaningful than a user guide ...
And some brands make a video start is what is missing ...
Then always think that you know your products and their logic. But a person who discovers the universe of a brand and an OS, it's always questions and the fear of making mistakes, or using videos on the basics ...

6 / VIDEO 2
Then if indeed I enter the world of the FLX and it meets all expectations, I could as I had said, in a previous discussion, make a tutorial in French ... (For the France, Belgium, Switzerland, Luxembourg, Quebec, and all countries that are French-speaking with English subtitles for other countries ...

I have a YouTube channel on DIY that has already almost 2 million views ... And I just launched a new channel on the dance ... So I can diffuse in worries things ...
And so that your brand can come to support small theaters that can not afford to buy GrandMA 1, 2 or 3 ...

Thank you. Certainly, more questions will come.
A good day to you,

Eric VDA

1 FLX + 1 wing  "7.14" + 1  FLX "7.13" & 3 Wings  / 2 Touchscreen  // Jester 24/48 

2 Swisson XND-4R5 ENode  // Stairville : 5 Wash MZH 19X15w  - 31 Retro Flat Par 18X 12w RGBW 

Electroconcept : 36 Wash 18 X 10w Q188 //  ADJ 2 Spot Focus 4Z & 2 Spot Focus 5Z Led 200w  - VARYTEC : 12 Varytec Hero Wash 300 FC

LedStage : 5 PARWASH 19 X 15w // 10 Spot 200w // 19 Wash Par 12 X 18W   // 2 BOWLDER 12X40w WASH // 11 PARZOOM 19 X 15w

2 hours ago, van den abbeele Eric said:

(I think that I like your way of life... when we see you in the car for the launch "We feel a t-shirt 30km into space, launched by FLX S" it's really top!)

Thank you!

1 /
Question about the wings ... You talk about HUB powered ... A powered hub is needed from how many wings?
Because there if I find an interesting price I will order a FLX + 1 wings. Do I have to predict a HUB?

FLX has 5 USB ports, and ZerOS Wings can be plugged directly into any of these. If you want to plug multiple ZerOS Wings into a single USB port (either to use 6 ZerOS Wings, or because you're using the USB ports for other things) these must go through a USB hub, which must be powered (ZerOS Wings are powered via USB, not via an external power supply). 

2 /
Side keyboard computer we have in France not the "QWERTY" but "AZERTY" ... Compatible with the FLX? Should it feed the keyboard on the HUB powered?

A USB keyboard can plug straight into the console, using the same rules as above. Currently FLX only supports QWERTY keyboards. We've had requests to add support for AZERTY, and I've added your request to our log (reference "ZOS-1955").

5 / VIDEO 1
I think that at the level of use you should consider a video installation. This is the first demarage of the FLX for someone who will discover this new universe.
So the alumer, connect the DMX and make the manipulations that go to the patch until the projector turns on ... Then go towards the direction of a first cue.
Because in general when we discover a product for the first time, it is always wanting to miss no step and always when we want to turn on the first projector, and although it does not work ... Return to the manual, realize that like any record, it still lacks information and that we find ourselves stuck ...
And a video is often more meaningful than a user guide ...
And some brands make a video start is what is missing ...
Then always think that you know your products and their logic. But a person who discovers the universe of a brand and an OS, it's always questions and the fear of making mistakes, or using videos on the basics ...

There are FLX training videos available here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLXZ_FRh4YdsV_xWV1WlKzgwcTt5h5KNsA

6 / VIDEO 2
Then if indeed I enter the world of the FLX and it meets all expectations, I could as I had said, in a previous discussion, make a tutorial in French ... (For the France, Belgium, Switzerland, Luxembourg, Quebec, and all countries that are French-speaking with English subtitles for other countries ...

I have a YouTube channel on DIY that has already almost 2 million views ... And I just launched a new channel on the dance ... So I can diffuse in worries things ...
And so that your brand can come to support small theaters that can not afford to buy GrandMA 1, 2 or 3 ...

Thanks - we could definitely look at supporting you in this. Once you've got your FLX and become familiar with it we can discuss further!

Thank you. Certainly, more questions will come.

No problem - keep them coming!

Jon Hole
Global Product Manager, Systems and Control

Thank !

I order the IIYAMA ProLite T1731SR-W1 for have a good overview... And I m standing about command confirmation by Thomann.de... Normaly I must have my FLX end Last week or just few days after...

For futur video yes I will enjoy to discuss with you...

For Zero 88 video's, I Download all last week for having a basic training. 

for keyboards this can be a good point to other brands that only use Querty keyboards ...

In any case it is appreciable to feel that you are not far from users. It is positive, even if for you it takes time and we know that time is precious.
But at the same time I think the human relationship is important.

A good product is good on essential, but how many good brands have no sense of brand relationships to customers and even fewer active forums!
And so you can not solve all the problems because evolve a product (OS) takes time and can sometimes bring more problems than to solve. But you're here to help new users.  

Thank you and see you soon for more info!

Eric

PS I see on zero88 videos that you use MACBOOKPRO. you never think of going to the MAC OS environment as can Chamsys for instance and MAGICQ?

1 FLX + 1 wing  "7.14" + 1  FLX "7.13" & 3 Wings  / 2 Touchscreen  // Jester 24/48 

2 Swisson XND-4R5 ENode  // Stairville : 5 Wash MZH 19X15w  - 31 Retro Flat Par 18X 12w RGBW 

Electroconcept : 36 Wash 18 X 10w Q188 //  ADJ 2 Spot Focus 4Z & 2 Spot Focus 5Z Led 200w  - VARYTEC : 12 Varytec Hero Wash 300 FC

LedStage : 5 PARWASH 19 X 15w // 10 Spot 200w // 19 Wash Par 12 X 18W   // 2 BOWLDER 12X40w WASH // 11 PARZOOM 19 X 15w

So Tomorrow I will order the FLX and FLX Wings. 

So if all work good, I will have the FLX in 8 at 10 days... 

I can not wait to try your product and work with this new console.
And considering that you are affordable to the discussions to be able also to help from my specific experience on the lighting of the Artistic dance. (Jazz, contemporary and classical)

See you soon,

Eric

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I come back on this thread, having no answers about my worries ...

Last Saturday at the first show with the FLX, at a time, without me touching anything, a led of a channel turned on by itself and that to turn on the floodlights of the channel. This happened twice ...

Kevin told me that this may be due to the trigger problem ...

Today, I am on another show and for the moment no CUE of programmed and I had again this concern. During the spotlighting of the projectors, so without any manipulation on the FLX, there was a led of a channel which lit up with good on the corresponding spotlights which were lit too.
To reset everything I had to intervene on the Fader (Up and down for a zero ...
This is very annoying, because I feel that things go randomly and really in pure hazard.
The only problem is that in full show to have a projector or a series of projectors that turn on alone it is not serious ...
Where can come problem, especially if there are no cues recorded ...

And I have a big show this Saturday, encoding tomorrow all day and Friday all day ...

Thanks for the help !

Saturdays it was Chanel 29 (q188 number 3)

and today ( it a other implantation) it was Chanel 7...

i will send the files tomorrow night !

but today like I tell before I did only mapping and light spottong on stage ...

thank for your help !

Hmmm weird. Sorry I didn't reach a conclusion.

I did/looked at:

- a flick through the general setup - nothing unusual, no remotes set up. DMX output 1/2 has RigSync (RDM) enabled but overall RigSync is disabled (looks like the default -> RDM is off, so that can't be the cause).

- the setup/operation of the 6 playbacks on page 2 - nothing unusual there, basic submaster usage

- a run through the cue list on the master playback - nothing seemed out of place, no accidental strobes

- no chases I could see or tracked issues on those channels

It's interesting you say you can grab the errant channels intensity and release it and it stops the issue. Also you see it on an LED unit and a dimmer channel (conventional -> spot or fresnel?)

For completeness, can you confirm you have DMX terminators on the lines and only a linear DMX topology (no passive splits).

It's not an issue I've experienced on my desk (currently 7.9.4) to date.

Ole

I have active Split and put terminator at all thé dmx Line 

whé is is defzult Split Gad led statut changing

so and I think that is a desktop problem ...

perhaps I Must Be care full will RDM to swistch off...

there normaly no signal return with standard DMX ... So I will have a look on the différents options ...

but  when you see without any action à bouton led on with projector on, it s look strange ...

thank Kevin for your help 

11 hours ago, van den abbeele Eric said:

but  when you see without any action à bouton led on with projector on, it s look strange ...

thank Kevin for your help 

Eric - are you saying the fixture is being selected by the desk and the channel LED in the MFF button is coming on?

Yes all mff faders down and all playback bouton switch off. 

My hands on my legs on at à moment playback bouton switch on with light on an stage ...

it look like a ghost near me will switch on bouton and light ...

Saturdays it was Chanel 29 (q188 number 3)

and yesterday ( it a other implantation) it was Chanel 7...

i will send the files tomorrow night !

but today like I tell before I did only mapping and light spottong on stage ...

thank for your help !

question

if I ennabled smart tag, this doing all intensity at zéro ? 

For have à Real black it can be a solution ?

question

if I ennabled smart tag, this doing all intensity at zéro ? 

For have à Real black it can be a solution ?

I'm conscious we will distract from your important question regards the spurious lighting, however if I understand this latest question I would suggest:

For a blackout on all fixtures you could do:

<ENTER> <ENTER> @.    (at dot)     -> all fixtures will get intensity 0 (ENTER-ENTER selects all fixtures with intensity>0)

SHIFT+RECORD                                 -> create a blocking cue - record all parameters of all fixtures (SmartTag setting does not matter)

Ok I will try today 

I have about 240 cues to record and many times blacks...

When you doing shift Record can be use also for other cues with light ?

I ask you because I can see when I m doing a recording all is OK but when I change the previous cues, news lights recording doesn t change after, if they're not in the next effect. This is normal like I inderstand because simple recording only record changement...

So for the first 70 cues still recording I will do with, but for the cues, I will use Shift record.

Thank 

Eric 

Your application for shift+record would be for example the first cue of a new dance routine. This would stop tracked values from one dance from bleeding into the next dance. Shift+record is also useful for a blackout cue to avoid an update later put into an earlier cue from resulting in a unintended light on in an intended blackout. 

I wouldn’t otherwise overuse shift+record because you’ll lose the benefits of tracking and overlaying playbacks will likely result in unintended fixture behaviour. 

Ok i underdtand 

But I see tha schift + record it s a Quick step of différente option un record Windows 

so if i Wanr’t to use during a dance moving light on a other playback I can at this Time change option... 

i must experiment différents things ...

so I did more attention about playback bouton and some Times there is one that swchitch on with out action from me 

I can really think that there a mystérious  gosth on my desk.

so now I go to bed bécause today i have recording about 245 cues 

Eric - on you ghost, can you work without the fader wing for one session and see if you get any spurious lights? I don't have a Wing, and fortunately have never experienced this problem with my "bare" FLX.

(Not commenting on your new thread as I know you'd like one of the Zero88 chaps to respond... Maybe they are at PLASA this week?)

Hello

for ghost problems it id not only on one fader... 

MFF button playback some Time switch on without action from me ... 

and the two accidents (MMF button and light on stage are différents ...

take care

I just Wish that it not a desk problem ... because during Juneau have Many performance ...

and without desk no performance 

Hello Kevin,

I try enter enter @ 0 and nothing move ... no 0 intensity .... do I must do something else before enter enter ?

Hi Eric,

<ENTER><ENTER> is a shortcut to select fixtures with intensity > 0 (get orange boxes around the channel numbers in the Output Window)

<ENTER><ENTER> @. (at dot) (or <ENTER><ENTER>@0<ENTER> as you've used) will select any lit fixture and black it out. It only affects the intensity, it won't move position or beamshape..

Try <CLEAR><CLEAR> first to empty the programmer to be sure your commands are being interpreted correctly.

Hope that helps. It's just a little "trick", nothing magical.

This is from the manual, page 9, right column about a quarter of the way down:

http://www.zero88.com/manuals/flx-user-manual-version-1.pdf

Kevin

Hi Both,

Apologies for the late reply, we have been attending ABTT trade show. Eric, when you say you see a light randomly come on, and its channel select button light, can you please let us know what the console is displaying this as. In your Output Window, is this a Red intensity value with the channel number in an orange select box? Is there anything displayed?

Edward

Edward Smith
Product Specialist

So Edward,

when I have had problems, (I précise without action from me)  there was at same Time (fader down) MMF bouton led on et on display monitor intensity go  to 30 or 35 %...

and thé second time it do the same

yesterdzy during encodage I see Also sometime one or a other MMF led go on but without intensity changing

other question

today I working or my wenesday effect and some cue haven’t fade option available...

I don’t Know Why ?

because I recording all cue in same way ... must I do rerecording thé cue or can I have a solution to enter a fade ?

Si after I speaker just about problems but your desk vive me enjoy !

thank