Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Edit fixtures on 7.9.3

grusus

Hi.

I know that I can do this like described in ZOS-7658 but removing it from setup with no option to manualy enter values (like was before) is in my opinion a step backward. 

Also there was good thing to change layout (bright frog layout) which was very usefull in sunny days. Was this option removed? Where is it?

23 hours ago, grusus said:

removing it from setup with no option to manualy enter values (like was before) is in my opinion a step backward. 

Hi grusus, the "old" method (entering values within Setup) had many many limitations:

1. Values had to be entered "blind". This meant you generally had to write down all the values you wanted, enter SETUP and then type them all in.
  2. Values had to be updated one-by-one, or use the same value for every fixture - nothing inbetween.
  3. Values were stored as percentages only. So a fixture with 540 degree pan just moved to the nearest 5.4 degrees - not very useful!
  4. There were no "details" (for Gobo, Shutter etc), just numerical values
  5. There were no Palette References, so when touring it was difficult and time consuming to update values

The new method solves all these problems - allowing you to use "normal" programming techniques (groups, encoders, referencing palettes, parameter details etc), update the values live to ensure they're correct, and the console stores these values as 16bit parameters resulting in the outcome being much more useful and accurate.

18 hours ago, grusus said:

From 2 years it is getting worse after each update.

I'm sorry to hear you think this - we've had a lot of positive response to our software updates recently, especially from Solution users. Over the last 13 months alone, the Solution has benefited from:

1. Multiple Playbacks, significantly improving the functionality and flexibility of the console
  2. New "syntax" order, bringing Solution in line with most other consoles
  3. Updated "Special" MFK layout, making many tools within this menu much quicker and simpler to use
  4. Improved Remote Apps, including adding Syntax control
  5. Global Tap Tempos
  6. SETUP+INSERT brings features such as Highlight, RemDim and Park which Solution never previously had
  7. Improved ASCII importing, including from ETC showfiles
  8. "Auto-select" option on Channel Faders
  9. Automatic Effect Offset options 
  10. Remote Device Management
  11. New Fixture Schedule layout allows you to manage fixtures much more quickly and simply
  12. New Add Fixtures process with many new functions including Universe Preview and Patch Offset
  13. Expanded CITP functionality
  14. Over 100 other enhancements and bug fixes

Jon Hole
Global Product Manager, Systems and Control